FX orders spy drama 'The Americans' with Keri Russell to series
Russell and Matthew Rhys play KGB agents posing as American newlyweds in the '80s
FX has ordered the '80s spy drama "The Americans" to series, which will bring Keri Russell back to television sometime in early 2013.
"The Americans," created by "Falling Skies" writer Joe Weisberg, stars Russell and Matthew Rhys as a pair of KGB agents posing as American newlyweds in Washington, D.C. at the dawn of the Reagan presidency. Noah Emmerich co-stars as one of their new neighbors, who happens to be an FBI counter-intelligence agent.
The series is executive produced by "Justified" showrunner Graham Yost and has a pilot directed by Gavin O'Connor
“We’re proud to welcome 'The Americans,'" FX president John Landgraf said in a statement, adding that the series "crackles with incredible performances rooted in character perspectives never explored on a U.S. television series, to FX’s line up of quality dramas. We’re equally excited to welcome Graham Yost’s talented young Padawan Joe Weisberg as creator/showrunner. He joins a long line of gifted writer/producers who have taken their first shot at greatness on FX."
This will be Russell's first TV series since the short-lived FOX sitcom "Running Wilde."
"The Americans" joins an FX drama lineup that includes "Justified" (returning in January) "Sons of Anarchy" (returning in September) and "American Horror Story" (returning sometime this fall). FX has another drama pilot in the works for "The Bridge," adapted from the Scandinavian series "Bron," centered on a pair of cops from the U.S. and Mexico who investigate a dead body found on the bridge connecting El Paso and Juarez, but that's still a ways away from being considered for a series pick-up.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
1 day ago
9 days ago
|Discuss Scripted Dramas on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18 Justin Bieber + Selena Gomez Will Sit Together at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When