Frank Ocean sang with Depeche Mode and is '10, 11 songs into' new album
R&B star is a big fan of the synth-pop crew
Frank Ocean and Depeche Mode: together at... last? The fast-rising R&B star has been recording at the same New York studio where the veteran electro-pop band was doing some recording work, and the paths crossed to what may be a new song on Ocean's next album.
DM's David Gahan told EW, "I was singing, Martin [Gore] on guitar, a few of the other guys... Suddenly in the doorway, I sensed this presence, and I realized there was this guy standing there just watching. An assistant came up to me in between songs and said, ‘Do you mind? Frank Ocean is here working in another studio and really wants to meet you guys.’ I wouldn’t have thought he would have even known who we are, but it turns out he’s a big fan.
“Martin and Christoffer Berg ended up doing a track with [Ocean], which I think is going to be part of his new record. Martin did some electronics and some modular synthesizer stuff he really wanted.”
As for other collaborators, Ocean has said this week he's hit the lab with Pharell and is planning on working with producer Danger Mouse. Two days ago, Ocean confirmed to BBC 1's Zane Lowe he was headlong into a follow-up album to 2012's breakthrough "Channel Orange."
"I'm 10, 11 songs into this next thing," Ocean said. "It's another cohesive thing, bordering on a concept record again."
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More
- Justin Bieber vs. Austin Mahone – PopCrush Prom King of 2013, Round 3 Demi Lovato Sings Selena Gomez's Praises [Video] Oreo 'Wonderfilled' Ad – What's the Song?
- Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- Christopher Nolan for James Bond Movie? Director Allegedly Courted to Direct Edward Furlong, 'Terminator 2' Star, Arrested Again Cannes 2013: $1M in Jewelry Stolen at Film Festival
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- 'Frances Ha' Review 'Star Wars: Episode 7′ — The Real Reason J.J. Abrams Left 'Star Trek' Sega Game Gear Classics Headed to Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- YESSSSSSS... Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? The Ultimate Office Blooper Reel