Fox says Bryan Singer will return to direct 'X-Men: Apocalypse'
There's been a lot of conjecture over whether Bryan Singer would continue to direct the next "X-Men" movie, "X-Men: Age of Apocalypse." Singer was behind the blockbuster "X-Men: Days of Future Past," but two very public civil lawsuits were filed against him for different cases of sexual assault in April and May. Singer had previously revealed he would helm "Apocalypse" last December, but many studios would have tried to figure out a way to have him step back into just a producing role while these legal matters worked themselves out. Surprisingly, 20th Century Fox appears to have enough faith in Singer to disregard such matters.
Speaking to The Hollywood Reporter in a wide ranging interview, Fox president of production Emma Watts confirmed that Singer would return despite the legal issues.
"Right now we are totally at the outlining phase," Watts told the trade magazine. "But nothing would make me happier than if it all worked out. It's always been the intention for him to do it."
After going radio silent on social media and avoiding the press before the release of "X-Men: Days of Future Past" Singer has begun tweeting regularly again. He has already tweeted himself and writer Simon Kinberg taking a break from working on "Apocalypse's" script to watch the World Cup and been promoting his new ABC TV series "Black Box."
"X-Men: Days of Future Past" is the biggest "X-Men" movie to date earning almost $700 million worldwide. "X-Men: Apocalypse" is currently scheduled for a May 26, 2016 release.