Fox News sets all-time viewership record with third Obama-Romney debate
59.2 million tuned in overall
NEW YORK (AP) — While it set a viewership record for Fox News Channel, Monday's debate between President Barack Obama and Republican Mitt Romney was the least-watched of their three meetings.
The Nielsen company estimated that 59.2 million people watched the debate, which was moderated by CBS' Bob Schieffer and focused on foreign policy. Their first debate had a television audience of 67.2 million and the second had 65.6 million.
The debate went up against a Monday night pro football game that was seen by 10.7 million and the deciding game of the National League championship series, which had 8.1 million viewers.
Still, the debate had a larger audience than the third contest between Obama and John McCain in 2008 (56.5 million viewers).
An estimated 11.5 million people watched Monday's debate on Fox News Channel. The network's previous viewership record was the 11.1 million who watched the second presidential debate last week and the Joe Biden-Sarah Palin vice presidential debate in 2008.
NBC had the largest audience for Monday's debate, with 12.4 million, Nielsen said. ABC had 11.7 million, CBS had 8.4 million, CNN had 5.8 million, MSNBC had 4.1 million and PBS had 2.5 million.
The debate was seen live on 10 different networks, with the Spanish-language Telemundo airing it on tape delay.
Copyright (2012) Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
News From Our Partners
- 'Da Vinci's Demons' Review: "The Devil" 'Assassin's Creed' Movie Slated For Memorial Day 2015 Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas'
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama