First 'Beautiful Creatures' trailer sets up 'Twilight'-style supernatural romance: Watch
Is this the next big YA franchise?
- Critic's Rating B-
- Readers' Rating C+
"You think Lena's a good girl now, but it won't matter."
So says Ridley Duchannes (a near-unrecognizable Emmy Rossum) in the first trailer for "Beautiful Creatures," the forthcoming adaptation of Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl's bestselling YA fantasy book that's being set up as the next big "Twilight"-style franchise by Warner Bros.
The film stars relative newcomer Alice Englert (Jane Campion's daughter!) as Lena, a 15-year-old "Caster" who falls in love with local boy Ethan Wate (Alden Ehrenreich) after moving to a small South Carolina town. Problem is, Casters (i.e. witches) are claimed for either "Light" or "Dark" (a.k.a. "Good" or "Evil") on their 16th birthdays - meaning Ethan's new girlfriend may not make for the greatest companion in the very near future. Can they find a way around Lena's ambiguous destiny before it's too late?
The handsome new trailer is clearly designed to spark the interest of "Twilight"/"Harry Potter" fans - thought particularly the latter I think - and it's certainly got all of the right ingredients to do so: attractive young lovers, supernatural goings-on, historical rivalries, etc. Add to that an impressive supporting cast that includes Rossum, Emma Thompson, Viola Davis and Jeremy Irons, and the film could potentially reel in non-'tween audiences as well.
That said, there's also something rather generic about the trailer - perhaps inevitable considering all the familiar plot elements - and while it certainly looks impressive visually (Richard LaGravanese is the director), for a non-fan it's apt to feel a little "been-there-seen-that."
My grade for the trailer: B-. After watching it below, you can rate it for yourself at top left.
"Beautiful Creatures" is slated for release on February 13.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
3 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- 'American Idol' Recap: Top 2 Perform Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- 'Angry Birds' Film Dive-Bombing Into Theaters In 2016 'Fast & Furious 6' Blasts Forward With Exclusive Clip: Watch Now! 'Riddick' Trailer: Watch Vin Diesel Fight For Survival
- Interview: Noah Baumbach on how Frances Ha helped him see New York City with new eyes Random Roles: James Urbaniak on Venture Bros.’ return and Hal Hartley’s Lord Of The Rings Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first
- Laura Prudom: The Ultimate Sacrifice You Won't Believe What He Stole From George W. Bush It's Getting Ugly
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Arrow Season 1 Finale Review: The Tragedies of Men Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)
- 'Supernatural' Season Finale Review: "Sacrifice" 'Arrow' Season Finale Review: "Sacrifice" 'Modern Family' Review: "Games People Play"