'Fast and Furious 6' star Paul Walker takes lead in 'Hitman' movie reboot
Smash video game series is getting a second chance on the big-screen
Paul Walker has bagged another potential franchise.
The "Fast and Furious" star has signed on to play the lead role in 20th Century Fox's "Hitman," a second attempt at adapting the hit Square Enix video game series that was previously turned into a 2007 film starring Timothy Olyphant and directed by French helmer Xavier Gens. While that version raked in nearly $100 million worldwide on a reported $24 million budget, it was ravaged by critics and didn't connect with the public imagination the way Fox clearly would've liked.
Like Olyphant, Walker will play the role of Agent 47, the barcoded, genetically-enhanced protagonist of the video game series who works as an assassin for the clandestine International Contract Agency. The character has been the subject of five games in the series so far, including last year's blockbuster entry "Hitman: Absolution."
According to story-breaker Deadline, "Hitman" is slated to shoot this summer in Berlin and Singapore following Walker's "Fast and Furious 6" press tour. Written by Skip Woods ("A Good Day to Die Hard," "The A-Team") and Mike Finch, the film will be helmed by Aleksander Bach, a commercials director who will be making his feature debut on the project.
"Fast and Furious 6" hits theaters on May 24. You can watch the latest trailer for the film here.
Will you be turning out for the "Hitman" reboot?
News From Our Partners
- Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing TV Roundtable: When My Boys tested its prickly chemistry by inviting some new faces to the poker table The Walkthrough: The New Girl showrunners on topping season two’s big kiss (Part 5 of 5)
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival CBS's 2013-2014 Season: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness Digital Multiplex: The Last Stand, Side Effects, and More RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: Ambitious, Time-Jumping Epic Cloud Atlas
- Demi Moore & Ashton Kutcher in $10M Tug of War 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier': Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Anthony Mackie Spotted in D.C. (VIDEO) Katie Holmes Attracts the Wrong Kind of Attention on 'Mania Days' Set
- Hulu.com: 7 Things That Wouldn't Exist Without The Office Larry Womack: In Defense of (the Original) James T. Kirk 'Storage Wars': Ivy Finds Giant Clam Shell
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- Best Alicia Keys Instagram Photos – Picture Perfect Taylor Swift Fan Arrested for Swimming Near Her Rhode Island Beach House Taylor Swift vs. Pink vs. Rihanna vs. Beyonce: Whose Tour Costume Do You Like Best? – Readers Poll
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is What Goes Bump in the Night 'The Simpsons' Taps Kristen Wiig For Guest Arc As FBI Agent CBS Fall 2013 Schedule: 'Mike & Molly' to 2014, More Comedy Thursday, and 'Hawaii' to Friday