Emma Watson won't play Cinderella after all
'Thor's' Kenneth Branagh directing fairy tale adaptation for Disney
Looks like that glass slipper isn't the right fit for Emma Watson after all.
It was recently reported that the "Harry Potter" vet would star in the title role of "Cinderella" for Disney and director Kenneth Branagh ("Thor"), but Watson has apparently passed on the project.
Variety's Marc Graser Tweeted the news, saying, "Emma Watson has decided NOT to star in Disney's CINDERELLA."
Based on a script by Chris Weitz ("The Golden Compass"), "Cinderella" was originally slated to be directed by Mark Romanek, who exited the project last year and was replaced by Branagh.
In addition to Watson, Disney has reportedly also considered Imogen Poots ("Fright Night"), Gabriella Wilde ("The Three Musketeers") and Alicia Vikander ("Anna Karenina") for the coveted role.
Cate Blanchett is already onboard as the evil stepmother.
Watson has been slowly shedding her onscreen image as the brainy Hermione from the "Harry Potter" films in favor of more dramatic roles. She'll follow her recent acclaimed turn in "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" with Sofia Coppola's upcomng "The Bling Ring," and Darren Aronofsky's epic "Noah."
She'll also appear as herself in the apocalyptic comedy "This Is the End," starring James Franco, Jonah Hill and Seth Rogen.
Who would you like to see play Cinderella?
News From Our Partners
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do.
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?