'Drive's' Nicolas Winding Refn to direct Denzel Washington in 'The Equalizer'
Duo teaming for big screen remake of 1980s CBS series
After months of trying to settle on a name, Sony has chosen "Drive" and "Bronson" helmer Nicolas Winding Refn to direct Denzel Washington in the upcoming big screen take on the '80s TV show "The Equalizer."
Washington will takeover the role played by British star Edward Woodward on the CBS series, which ran from 1985 to 1989. It depicts a former fed who devotes his considerable skills to helping those in need when the system fails them.
Richard Wenk ("the Expendables 2") wrote the script, while Todd Black, Jason Blumenthal, and Steve Tisch will produce for Escape Artists, along with Alex Siskin, Mace Neufeld, Tony Eldridge, Michael Sloan, and Washington himself, according to Deadline.
Shooting will commence sometime in the spring of 2013. No other cast members have been announced yet.
Washington is building Oscar buzz for his performance as an alcoholic pilot in Robert Zemeckis' "Flight," currently in theaters. He'll next be seen opposite Mark Wahlberg in the action film "2 Guns."
Refn is currently in post on his reunion with Ryan Gosling, "Only God Forgives." He and Gosling were also linked to the "Logan's Run" remake, but that seems to have fallen apart with Gosling's exit.
Are you excited to see Refn and Washington work together?
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
3 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Demi Lovato vs. Perrie Edwards – PopCrush Prom Queen of 2013, Round 3 Justin Bieber vs. Austin Mahone – PopCrush Prom King of 2013, Round 3 Demi Lovato Sings Selena Gomez's Praises [Video]
- YESSSSSSS... Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? The Ultimate Office Blooper Reel
- 'Frances Ha' Review 'Star Wars: Episode 7′ — The Real Reason J.J. Abrams Left 'Star Trek' Sega Game Gear Classics Headed to Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More
- Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama