Dreamworks Animation reveals ambitious 12-film release slate
'How to Train Your Dragon' sequels, 'Kung Fu Panda 3' included
Dreamworks Animation is going into overdrive.
As part of its recently-announced distribution deal with 20th Century Fox, the animation house has revealed an ambitious release slate through the middle of 2016 that will see the studio releasing an unprecedented three titles annually over a four-year period. Included in the announcement are the previously-undisclosed "How to Train Your Dragon 3," scheduled for release on June 18, 2016 , and "B.O.O.: Bureau of Otherworldly Operations," a supernatural film featuring the voice of Seth Rogen that's set to be directed by Tony Leondis ("Igor").
The Fox deal came about following DWA's recent split from Paramount Pictures, which began distributing the animation studio's films beginning in 2006 with "Over the Hedge." The final title to be released under the Paramount deal will be this fall's "Rise of the Guardians," which is slated for a November 21 release.
In addition to "How to Train Your Dragon 3" and "B.O.O.," slated titles include next year's "The Croods" (March 22), which centers on a caveman family that encounters a brilliant nomad (voiced by Ryan Reynolds); "Turbo" (July 19, 2013), about a snail (also voiced by Reynolds) who dreams of becoming a race-car driver; "How to Train Your Dragon 2" (June 20, 2014); and "Kung Fu Panda 3" (March 18, 2016).
Releasing three films per year is practically unheard of for an animation studio, with industry leader Pixar putting out only one title annually. Dreamworks, meanwhile, has managed the feat only once, with the one-two-three punch of "How to Train Your Dragon," "Shrek Forever After" and "Megamind" in 2010.
After checking out the full release slate below, let us know which titles you're most looking forward to in the comments.
Full Dreamworks Animation release slate:
"The Croods" - March 22, 2013
"Turbo" – July 19, 2013
"Mr. Peabody & Sherman" - November 1, 2013
"Me And My Shadow" – March 14, 2014
"How To Train Your Dragon 2" – June 20, 2014
"Happy Smekday!" – November 26, 2014
"The Penguins Of Madagascar" – March 27, 2015
"Trolls" – June 5, 2015
"B.O.O.: Bureau of Otherworldly Operations" – November 6, 2015
"Mumbai Musical" (working title) – December 19, 2015
"Kung Fu Panda 3" – March 18, 2016
"How To Train Your Dragon 3" – June 18, 2016
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
3 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- Why They Went 'Crazy' 30 EPIC Wedding Disasters 'No One Lives Forever'
- Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born Demi Lovato Gets New 'Warrior'-Inspired Tattoo [Pic]
- Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural CBS's 2013-2014 Schedule: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- Hear This: Connections gives a Guided By Voices-indebted reason to go for the opener Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing
- 'Angry Birds' Film Dive-Bombing Into Theaters In 2016 'Fast & Furious 6' Blasts Forward With Exclusive Clip: Watch Now! 'Riddick' Trailer: Watch Vin Diesel Fight For Survival
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)