Drama pilots: Michael Ealy is J.J. Abrams' robo-cop, Tracie Thoms monster-mashes and more
Also: 'Without a Trace''s Anthony LaPaglia gets hitched to Felicity Huffman
Lots of drama (literally) on the pilot casting front today...
- Michael Ealy ("Common Law," "Think Like a Man") has nabbed a leading role in "Fringe" showrunner J.H. Wyman's untitled Fox pilot, set in a near-future Los Angeles where cops are paired with android partners. Ealy will play Dorian, an android whose sense of humanity is greater than that of his human cohort. Wyman wrote the script and will executive-produce alongside Bad Robot's J.J. Abrams and Bryan Burk. The pilot is set to be directed by Brad Anderson ("Fringe," "The Machinist"). [EW]
- "Without a Trace" star Anthony LaPaglia is set to play Felicity Huffman's husband in Fox's "Boomerang," about a family of U.S. government assassins and the "loose-cannon" son (Michael Stahl-David) who is forced to return to the fold after a mission in Guatemala goes terribly wrong, leaving him with no money and no options. LaPaglia will play Bill, a former CIA operative and the patriarch of the deadly clan. The Davey Holm-created series also stars Patrick Heusinger ("Royal Pains," "Gossip Girl") as the older of the family's two sons. [TVLine]
- Tracie Thoms ("Cold Case") will co-star with former "Made In Jersey" star Janet Montgomery in ABC's "Gothica," the gothic soap opera that incorporates literary monsters including Dracula, Frankenstein and Dorian Gray into a modern-day storyline. Thoms is set to play Mina, the managing editor of the small-town newspaper taken over by relocated New York journalist Montgomery's Grace Van Helsing, whose family owns the publication. Written by Matt Lopez, the ABC Studios/Mark Gordon pilot is set to be directed by Anand Tucker ("Leap Year," "Shopgirl"). [Deadline]
Comedy pilots: David Spade joins 'Bad Management,' 'Office' alums book next gigs
Also: Will Arnett gets a sister, Chyler Leigh survives a plane crash
- Max Deacon ("Hatfields & McCoys") has been cast in Bravo pilot "The Joneses," a drama based on the 2009 satirical film starring Demi Moore and David Duchovny. The plot centers on a group of "stealth marketing" employees who pose as family members in a suburban neighborhood. Deacon is set to play the role of "son" Nick in the prospective series, which comes from writer Liz Tigelaar ("Revenge," "Life Unexpected"). [Deadline]
Care to weigh in with your thoughts on any of the above castings? Sound off in the comments.
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas' 'Rapturepalooza' Trailer: Anna Kendrick Gets Seduced by Satan 'Doctor Who' Season 8: Matt Smith Confirmed to Stay Another Year?
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Behind The Shocking 'Grey's Anatomy' Finale WATCH: Tobias Fünke's New Sizzle Reel Is Epic JLo Steals Spotlight On 'American Idol'
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama