Drake gets flashy on Grammy night in brand-new 'Started From the Bottom' video: Watch
Conspicuous consumption at its very finest
- Critic's Rating B
- Readers' Rating C+
Just in case you needed reminding, Drake is very, very rich.
The double-platinum rapper lays bare his nouveau riche sensibilities in the brand-new video for "Started From the Bottom," which charts the 2013 Grammy winner's (he took home Best Rap Album in the pre-televised portion of tonight's ceremony) rise from lowly grocery store clerk to world-renowned hip-hop superstar in less than five-and-a-half minutes. Interestingly, the clip leaves out the part where Drake (nee Aubrey Graham) scores a series regular role on "Degrassi: The Next Generation" at the age of 15, but let's not get bogged down in minor details.
All in all, the Director X-helmed clip is just stylish enough to overcome its generic premise and typically-ostentatious hip-hop visuals, presenting an enjoyable fantasy ride for those able to stomach it (though the lame comedic interlude about a third of the way through would've been best left on the cutting room floor).
My grade for the video: B. After watching all the white Bentley-riding, private jet-flying, beachside mansion-dwelling action below, you can rate it for yourself at top left.
News From Our Partners
- In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness Digital Multiplex: The Last Stand, Side Effects, and More RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: Ambitious, Time-Jumping Epic Cloud Atlas
- Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing TV Roundtable: When My Boys tested its prickly chemistry by inviting some new faces to the poker table The Walkthrough: The New Girl showrunners on topping season two’s big kiss (Part 5 of 5)
- Demi Moore & Ashton Kutcher in $10M Tug of War 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier': Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Anthony Mackie Spotted in D.C. (VIDEO) Katie Holmes Attracts the Wrong Kind of Attention on 'Mania Days' Set
- 'Star Trek' Baddie Benedict Cumberbatch Reveals Role's Biggest Challenge Cannes Film Festival 2013: Our Must-See Movies 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Sounds
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is What Goes Bump in the Night 'The Simpsons' Taps Kristen Wiig For Guest Arc As FBI Agent CBS Fall 2013 Schedule: 'Mike & Molly' to 2014, More Comedy Thursday, and 'Hawaii' to Friday
- Hulu.com: 7 Things That Wouldn't Exist Without The Office Larry Womack: In Defense of (the Original) James T. Kirk 'Storage Wars': Ivy Finds Giant Clam Shell
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival CBS's 2013-2014 Season: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays