Dr. Dre tops Diddy, Jay-Z, Kanye West on Forbes' hip-hop 'Cash Kings' list
Find out where Lil Wayne, Drake, Nicki Minaj and more rank on the tally
In the world of hip-hop, cash is king.
At least it is in the scope of Forbes' annual "Cash Kings" list, which tallies the earnings of hip-hop's top performers (defined as any artist "whose work is primarily classified as hip-hop or rap") to see where they rank in comparison to their peers. This year's clear winner is L.A. rapper/producer/entrepreneur Dr. Dre, who pulled in a whopping $110 million between May 2011 and May 2012 - far more dough than the number two earner, Sean "Diddy" Combs, who raked in a puny $45 million over the same period.
Dre's impressive haul came not thanks to his music (is "Detox" ever going to come out?) but rather his popular Beats By Dr. Dre line of premium headphones, which netted him a cool $100 million (pretax) when Taiwanese handset maker HTC paid $300 million for a 51% stake in the company last year. (Holy...)
Take that 'Twilight': Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga, Adele and Rihanna top paid celebs under 30
Girls really do run the world, according to Forbes
Kristen Stewart tops Angelina Jolie, Cameron Diaz as highest-paid Hollywood actress
Which other thesps did the 'Twilight' star beat out for the top spot?
Speaking of Minaj, the "Beez in the Trap" superstar was the sole female rapper to make this year's list - not surprising considering she's really the only big-ticket one out there at this point (though she might want to look over her shoulder at fiercely-talented up-and-comer Azealia Banks, if you ask us). A man's world, indeed.
After checking out the full Forbes list below, let us know what you think in the comments.
2012 Forbes "Cash Kings" (all figures pretax):
1. Dr. Dre: $110 million
2. Diddy: $45 million
3. Jay-Z: $38 million
4. Kanye West: $35 million
5. Lil Wayne: $27 million
6 Drake: $20.5 million
7. Birdman: $20 million
8. Nicki Mianj: $15.5 million
9. Eminem: $15 million
10. Ludacris: $12 million
11. Pitbull: $9.5 million
12. Rick Ross: $9 million (tie)
13. Wiz Khalifa: $9 million (tie)
14. Snoop Dogg: $8 million
15. 50 Cent: $7.5 million
16. Swizz Beatz: $7 million (tie)
17. Pharrell: $7 million (tie)
18. Young Jeezy: $7 million (tie)
19. Mac Miller: $6.5 million
20. Akon: $6 million (tie)
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
3 months ago
6 months ago
|Discuss Music General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Why They Went 'Crazy' 30 EPIC Wedding Disasters 'No One Lives Forever'
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- Hear This: Connections gives a Guided By Voices-indebted reason to go for the opener Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- Reese Witherspoon Joins Paul Thomas Anderson's 'Inherent Vice' CBS Fall 2013 Trailers: Sarah Michelle Gellar's 'Crazy Ones,' Anna Faris' Mom' and More! Sony Trademarks Possible PlayStation 4 Slogan "Greatness Awaits"
- Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural CBS's 2013-2014 Schedule: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born Demi Lovato Gets New 'Warrior'-Inspired Tattoo [Pic]
- 'Angry Birds' Film Dive-Bombing Into Theaters In 2016 'Fast & Furious 6' Blasts Forward With Exclusive Clip: Watch Now! 'Riddick' Trailer: Watch Vin Diesel Fight For Survival