'Downton Abbey' creator Julian Fellowes to develop 'The Gilded Age' for NBC
Drama to depict the financial tycoons of late 19th century New York
American fans of Julian Fellowes' "Downton Abbey" have had to wait months past their British counterparts for the show to cross the Atlantic and air on PBS — the third season will debut here on January 6, and ITV has already ordered a fourth — but that won't be an issue for Fellowes' next series, a 19th century drama called "The Gilded Age" that he'll write and produce for NBC. It's currently just in development, but with a significant penalty if a pilot isn't ordered.
NBC describes "The Gilded Age" as "an epic tale of the princes of the American Renaissance and the vast fortunes they made — and spent — in late nineteenth century New York."
"This was a vivid time," Fellowes said in a statement, "with dizzying, brilliant ascents and calamitous falls, of record-breaking ostentation and savage rivalry; a time when money was king."
In addition to creating the Emmy-winning "Downton," Fellowes is also an Oscar-winning screenwriter for "Gosford Park," and other screenplay credits include "Vanity Fair," "The Young Victoria" and "The Tourist."
News From Our Partners
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18 Justin Bieber + Selena Gomez Will Sit Together at 2013 Billboard Music Awards