Donna Summer, Rush, Public Enemy are in Rock & Roll Hall of Fame's Class of 2013
Who has to come back again next year?
Rush fans rejoice! The power trio is one of six acts who will be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame class of 2013.
The rockers, whose fans had rallied around their cause for years, will be joined by Heart, Randy Newman, Public Enemy and Donna Summer and Albert King, both of whom will be inducted posthumously.
Upon hearing of the honor, Rush’s Geddy Lee said the victory was really for the fans, who were second only to the KISS Army, in marshaling the troops to get their band inducted. “It was a cause they championed,” Lee told Rolling Stone. “I’m very relieved for them and we share this honor with them, for sure.” He also noted how happy his mom was about the news.
Newman, in his own inimitable way, expressed joy that he will be inducted, god willing, before he dies. “I’m really glad it happened when I was still around to see it.”
Heart’s Ann Wilson, who, along with Joan Jett, should have gotten in years ago, commented to Rolling Stone, “Some people have an idea of what the shape of rock & roll is supposed to look like... We’re not really it.” My guess is that shape would be a penis.
Public Enemy becomes the fourth hip-hop act to join the hall, alongside Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, Run-D.M.C. and the Beastie Boys.
Among the acts on the ballot this year who did not get elected are N.W.A., Joan Jett & The Blackhearts, Kraftwerk, Procol Harum, Chic, Paul Butterfield Blues Band, The Marvelettes, and the Meters.
Did the Hall get it right this year? In my mind, that’s a resounding yes. Here’s my proof: I am notoriously horrible in making predictions, but I managed to get all five inductees correct this year in this piece earlier this year. The only one I missed was Albert King because I thought only five would go in.
This year marked the first time the public could vote for the inductees, although their voice was small: the combined public vote counted for one of the 600 ballots.
The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony will take place at Los Angeles’ Nokia Theater on April 18 and will be broadcast on HBO on May. 18.
Whom do you feel should be on next year’s list? Will Chic finally get in on its eighth nomination? Does Rush’s entry pave the way for the long list of prog rockers who are still not in? Hall & Oates? Todd Rungren? And, yes, KISS?
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- Announcement Trailer is Full of Swords and Ponytails SNL: Ben Affleck Joins the "Fiver Timers Club" and Explains His Oscar Speech SNL: Iran Responds to 'Argo' With a Film of Its Own
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19) Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Watch 2PM Give Each Other Hugs, Spankings + Piggyback Rides at '2PM Is Back With Genie' Concert [Video] Would Adam Lambert Judge 'American Idol?' [Video] Chris Brown Receiving Death Threats
- Kanye West Debuts 'Black Skinhead' Kanye Storms 'SNL' The 'Doctors' Unite
'The Great Gatsby' and Beyonce's bey-bey also make the listSunday, May 19, 2013
Who is in the lead?Saturday, May 18, 2013
They let their fingers do the talkingFriday, May 17, 2013
How do you auto-tune a smurf?Friday, May 17, 2013