Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4 billion and sets 'Star Wars: Episode 7' for 2015
George Lucas will serve as 'creative consultant' on new films
Two of Hollywood's biggest titans have joined forces; Disney has purchased LucasFilm, the home of the hugely popular "Star Wars" franchise. And at least one more "Star Wars" film is on the way.
The landmark deal was made for $4 billion in cash and stock, and includes Industrial Light and Magic, Skywalker Sound.
According to a press release from Disney, a seventh “Star Wars” film is in development for release in 2015.
The release also notes that “more feature films expected to continue the Star Wars saga” in the future.
Kathleen Kennedy, current Co-Chairman of Lucasfilm, will become President of Lucasfilm, reporting to Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn. She will serve as executive producer on forthcoming "Star Wars" films, while "Star Wars" creator George Lucas will serve as creative consultant.
It's unclear if "Episode 7" will pick up where "Episode 6" (1983's "Return of the Jedi") left off, or continue in a new direction.
George Lucas talks about the future of 'Star Wars' and selling Lucasfilm
Plus: Watch Iger and Lucas sign the deal memo
“For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see 'Star Wars' passed from one generation to the next,” said George Lucas in a statement. “It’s now time for me to pass 'Star Wars' on to a new generation of filmmakers. I’ve always believed that 'Star Wars' could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime. I’m confident that with Lucasfilm under the leadership of Kathleen Kennedy, and having a new home within the Disney organization, 'Star Wars' will certainly live on and flourish for many generations to come. Disney’s reach and experience give Lucasfilm the opportunity to blaze new trails in film, television, interactive media, theme parks, live entertainment, and consumer products.”
Among its myriad other holdings, Disney also own Marvel Comics, including such recent film hits as "The Avengers."
Lucas directed "Star Wars" in 1977, and it became one of Hollywood's first modern blockbusters, capturing the imagination of millions of moviegoers. The film spawned an empire of merchandise, TV spin-offs and five highly successful feature follow-ups, including 1980's "The Empire Strikes Back" and 1983's "Jedi," both of which Lucas produced but didn't direct. Throughout the '80s and '90s, the brand lived on in multimedia platforms (video games, cartoons, comic books, novels). The theatrical side of the series was revived with the prequel trilogy, encompassing 1999's "The Phantom Menace," 2002's "Attack of the Clones" and 2005's "Revenge of the Sith."
What do you think of the idea of more "Star Wars" movies, as produced by Disney?
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
3 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- 'Angry Birds' Film Dive-Bombing Into Theaters In 2016 'Fast & Furious 6' Blasts Forward With Exclusive Clip: Watch Now! 'Riddick' Trailer: Watch Vin Diesel Fight For Survival
- Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural CBS's 2013-2014 Schedule: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)
- Reese Witherspoon Joins Paul Thomas Anderson's 'Inherent Vice' CBS Fall 2013 Trailers: Sarah Michelle Gellar's 'Crazy Ones,' Anna Faris' Mom' and More! Sony Trademarks Possible PlayStation 4 Slogan "Greatness Awaits"
- Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born Demi Lovato Gets New 'Warrior'-Inspired Tattoo [Pic]
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- Why They Went 'Crazy' 30 EPIC Wedding Disasters 'No One Lives Forever'