Director Matthew Vaughn exits 'X-Men: Days of Future Past'
Will Bryan Singer return to helm the sequel?
There's been a significant shake-up in the world of mutants.
"X-Men: First Class" writer-director Matthew Vaughn has reportedly left the upcoming sequel, "X-Men: Days of Future Past," just weeks before filming was scheduled to begin.
The film's producer Bryan Singer, who directed the first two "X-Men" films (Brett Ratner directed "X-Men 3: The Last Stand") and acted as a consultant on "First Class" is rumored to be returning to the director's chair for "Future Past," according to Deadline.
While some of the continuity of the 1960s-set "First Class" seemed to clash with that of the first three "X-Men" films, adapting the celebrated "Days of Future Past" storyline offers the studio a chance to mix events and characters from both timelines. It therefore could work for Singer to step back into the director's chair, however Vaughn's departure is still a huge surprise.
"X-Men" star Patrick Stewart previously hinted that he'll reprise his role as Professor X in the film, possibly alongside James McAvoy as his younger self.
The sequel is scheduled to start shooting in January, allowing co-star Jennifer Lawrence (Mystique) to wrap filing on "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire." James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender and the other young mutants will also be returning. It's tentatively scheduled to be released July 18, 2014.
After directing 2000's "X-Men" and 2003's "X2: X-Men United," Singer stepped away from the franchise in order to direct "Superman Returns" and "Valkyrie." His latest film, "Jack the Giant Killer," will hit screens March 1, 2013.
Vaughn meanwhile has plans for another film for Fox, likely the drama "Secret Service," based on the comic book series that he and Mark Millar ("Kick-Ass") have been working on together. Vaughn directed the film version of "Kick-Ass," but is only acting as a producer on the sequel, which is currently in production and will be released June 28, 2013.
Who do you think should direct "X-Men: Days of Future Past"? Should Bryan Singer return?
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
3 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- Mariah Carey Medleys, Jennifer Lopez Lives It Up With Pitbull on 'American Idol' Finale [Videos] Candice Glover Wins 'American Idol' Season 12 Beyonce Gets Emotional Onstage in Belgium [Video]
- Crosstalk: A fan and a newbie catch up on the first season of The Venture Bros. AVQ&A: What are your favorite and least favorite cultural baits and switches? Podmass: The Dice Man infiltrates podcasting, Casey Wilson chokes up on The JV Club, and Kumail vs. Maron
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- 'The Office' Series Finale Review: "Finale" 'Anger Management' Review: "Charlie and the Break-Up Coach" 'Hannibal' Review: "Fromage"