Dido and Kendrick Lamar's beautiful 'Let Us Move On': Watch
British singer and American rapper combine for an emotional track
- Critic's Rating A-
- Readers' Rating n/a
Dido has a voice that seems to float ethereally above the notes. It works best when it’s tethered to the ground by an opposing vocals such as on Eminem’s “Stan,” which used her song “Thank You.” *
Here, on Dido’s new song “Let Us Move On,” Kendrick Lamar’s gruff rap fills that role.
[More after the jump...]
The tune, from Dido’s forthcoming March release, features her lilting, placid vocal about moving on and letting a feeling pass over a simple drum track on the track produced by Dido’s brother Rollo and Jeff Bhasker.
Just as the listener begins to feel beautifully hypnotized by the meditation, Lamar comes in to reinforce the feeling of forward momentum. “Cause i can make the decision to let it all go away before I ever go astray,” he raps.
Unlike so many songs where the rap feels like it bears absolutely no relation to the song, Lamar’s words fit in beautifully with this homily about acceptance and moving on.
Though the song was recorded long before some recent tragic events, listening to it has a soothing quality that certain helps calm shattered nerves.
*As NPR's Ann Powers points out here, Emimem and Dido's pairing on "Stan" ushered in the movement of rappers using softer feminine voices as a counterpoint. It took several more years for it to become ubiquitous, but it's interesting to note the song as the breakthrough for what was to come.
What do you think?
News From Our Partners
- Ilana Rapp: Actor Richard Harmon From Bates Motel and Continuum Talks about SpongeBob Squarepants and Yoga 'The Last Classic TV Comedy'? 'Biggest Loser' Host: 'I've Never Seen Jillian Eat A Cupcake'
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- Beyonce Gets Emotional Onstage in Belgium [Video] Listen to Selena Gomez's 'Come & Get It' Remixes Katy Perry vs. Rita Ora vs. Beyonce vs. Kesha vs. Demi Lovato – Who Wore It Best?
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels Watch an Extended Trailer for CBS's Under the Dome (VIDEO)
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
Watch the Foo Fighters' hilarious speech now before it airs on HBOThursday, May 16, 2013
Phoenix is also on soundtrack for Sofia Coppola-directed filmThursday, May 16, 2013
Where does Mariah Carey's '#Beautiful' #debut?Wednesday, May 15, 2013
Rappers will appear with Bone Thugs N Harmony and Wu-Tang ClanWednesday, May 15, 2013