'Dead Man Down''s Noomi Rapace talks revenge and the pressure to be beautiful: Watch
The original Lisbeth reunites with her 'Dragon Tattoo' director for new thriller
After achieving international fame with her starring role in Niels Arden Oplev's "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo," Noomi Rapace caught the eye of Hollywood and went on to score roles in a pair of major productions: Guy Ritchie's "Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows" and Ridley Scott's sci-fi sorta-prequel "Prometheus." Now she's back with Oplev for "Dead Man Down," an English-language revenge thriller co-starring Colin Farrell and scripted by "Fringe"'s J.H. Wyman. So how did she end up working with the director a second time?
"Well, I loved working with him on the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. And we are both very...we have strong opinions, we're both very passionate, and he can be very stubborn...and I'm kind of...[laughs] you know, quite similar to him," said Rapace, sitting down to chat with me about the film recently. "I've been wanting...to find something to do with him. So when they sent me this script, and I saw just in the email that he was attached to it, I called him up straightaway. I was like, 'Is this true, are you doing this?' And he said, 'yeah, read it and let me know.'"
One of the more intriguing aspects of "Dead Man Down" is Beatrice's false belief that if she successfully snuffs out the man who stole away her beauty, she will somehow be reborn. As comments on our painfully shallow culture go, it's a pretty potent one.
"Beauty and being attractive and being perfect, it's not everything," Rapace offered. "Even though in this world, for women, especially, it's so important to be beautiful. And people judge you very hard if you don't look attractive in a way, and I think people treat a woman who's not beautiful in a very different way than someone who's actually attractive. So it was really interesting...[the] subject matter was really something that I wanted to kind of look into."
Care to hear more? Click on the video above for the full interview.
"Dead Man Down" hits theaters this Friday.
News From Our Partners
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- 'The Office' Series Finale Review: "Finale" 'Anger Management' Review: "Charlie and the Break-Up Coach" 'Hannibal' Review: "Fromage"
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? 'The Office' Finale: Michael Scott's Surprise Appearance And Your New 'American Idol' Is ...
- Mariah Carey Medleys, Jennifer Lopez Lives It Up With Pitbull on 'American Idol' Finale [Videos] Candice Glover Wins 'American Idol' Season 12 Beyonce Gets Emotional Onstage in Belgium [Video]