Dawes flies high with new single, 'From A Window Seat': Listen
First single from new album, 'Stories Don't End' has hypnotic appeal
- Critic's Rating B
- Readers' Rating A+
“When you don’t know where you’re going, any road will take you there,” Dawes lead singer Taylor Goldsmith sings on the Southern California band’s bouncy “From A Window Seat,” the first single from the Jacquire King-produced “Stories Don’t End,” out April 9.
[More after the jump...]
The song, which chronicles a frequent flier’s first-person account as he views the country from 35,000 feet, has a train-like chugging, persistent beat, punctuated by a striking guitar solo during an instrumental bridge.
The story takes some interesting twists as the protagonist at first is observing his fellow passengers and the flight attendants, whose motioning toward the exits seems “more like a prayer or an ancient dance their bloodline reaches through,” but as the song progresses, his thoughts turn more inward. It’s a compelling story and one that even those who aren’t on planes nearly every week can relate to.
The song rolls along in a fairly consistent manner without the traditional verse/chorus structure, which makes it less dynamic than some of Dawes’ previous work, but it has an almost hypnotic appeal as the steady beat lures the listener in.
Below is a recently- released trailer of the band recording "Stories Don't End" in Asheville, N.C.
News From Our Partners
- Ilana Rapp: Actor Richard Harmon From Bates Motel and Continuum Talks about SpongeBob Squarepants and Yoga 'The Last Classic TV Comedy'? 'Biggest Loser' Host: 'I've Never Seen Jillian Eat A Cupcake'
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- 'Zombieland' TV Series: Amazon Passes on the Pilot 'How I Met Your Mother' Final Season Spoilers: Producers Explain Time-Turning Format Change 'The Hangover Part 3′ Red-Band NSFW Trailer: It's Time to End the Trilogy
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels Watch an Extended Trailer for CBS's Under the Dome (VIDEO)
- Listen to Selena Gomez's 'Come & Get It' Remixes Katy Perry vs. Rita Ora vs. Beyonce vs. Kesha vs. Demi Lovato – Who Wore It Best? Chris Brown Launches New 'Channel' Website, Gets More Personal Than Ever
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
Watch the Foo Fighters' hilarious speech now before it airs on HBOThursday, May 16, 2013
Phoenix is also on soundtrack for Sofia Coppola-directed filmThursday, May 16, 2013
Where does Mariah Carey's '#Beautiful' #debut?Wednesday, May 15, 2013
Rappers will appear with Bone Thugs N Harmony and Wu-Tang ClanWednesday, May 15, 2013