Dawes flies high with new single, 'From A Window Seat': Listen
First single from new album, 'Stories Don't End' has hypnotic appeal
- Critic's Rating B
- Readers' Rating A+
“When you don’t know where you’re going, any road will take you there,” Dawes lead singer Taylor Goldsmith sings on the Southern California band’s bouncy “From A Window Seat,” the first single from the Jacquire King-produced “Stories Don’t End,” out April 9.
[More after the jump...]
The song, which chronicles a frequent flier’s first-person account as he views the country from 35,000 feet, has a train-like chugging, persistent beat, punctuated by a striking guitar solo during an instrumental bridge.
The story takes some interesting twists as the protagonist at first is observing his fellow passengers and the flight attendants, whose motioning toward the exits seems “more like a prayer or an ancient dance their bloodline reaches through,” but as the song progresses, his thoughts turn more inward. It’s a compelling story and one that even those who aren’t on planes nearly every week can relate to.
The song rolls along in a fairly consistent manner without the traditional verse/chorus structure, which makes it less dynamic than some of Dawes’ previous work, but it has an almost hypnotic appeal as the steady beat lures the listener in.
Below is a recently- released trailer of the band recording "Stories Don't End" in Asheville, N.C.
News From Our Partners
- Former Cast Member Bill Hader Reveals Justin Bieber Was Diva on 'SNL' Set Rihanna vs. Nicki Minaj: Which Diva Has the Best Booty? – Readers Poll Rita Ora Dyes Her Hair Bright Blue [Pics]
- Total Recall: Bradley Cooper's Best Movies Parental Guidance: Epic and Beautiful Creatures Comic Book Movies You Can Watch Online
- WATCH: Jon Stewart Shuts Down Bill O'Reilly '900 Pound Man: The Race Against Time': Is It Too Late? Ashley Benson Is Not Dating All Of Her Friends
- The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Eight: Blue Is The Warmest Color captures a relationship’s rawness and beauty Hear This: Pantera’s “Walk” is the cry of aggrieved, disaffected youth Watch This: Vanishing Point caters to car nuts and existentialists alike
- 'Hangover III': The Reviews Are In! Jennifer Aniston Breaks Bad, Strips Down In 'We're The Millers' Trailer 'Star Wars' Fans Still Love To Hate Ewoks 30 Years Later
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? Nashville Season Finale Review: Funerals, Proposals, Car Accidents, Oh My? What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds
- 'Rush' Trailer: The Risk of Death Turns People On Need for Speed Rivals Will Race onto Xbox One and PlayStation 4 Sonic: Lost World's Six New Characters are Teased
Go behind the scenes of the new magical Las Vegas extravaganzaThursday, May 23, 2013
Quartet hopes to put out new set 'in the next year'Wednesday, May 22, 2013
Daft Punk scores its first Top 10 hitWednesday, May 22, 2013
Will their collaboration yield Smith's first release in 8 years?Tuesday, May 21, 2013