David Fincher talks to direct Angelina Jolie in 'Cleopatra' break down
Will 'Brokeback Mountain' helmer Ang Lee step in to take his place?
David Fincher has decided not to direct Angelina Jolie in Sony's forthcoming "Cleopatra" epic - which actually puts him in pretty good company.
Talks between the "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" helmer and the studio have broken off, according to Vulture, following reports of his attachment early last year. As a result, Fincher has become just the latest A-list filmmaker to depart the project, with James Cameron and Paul Greengrass having both previously circled the historical drama before bowing out.
Luckily, a gargantuan project like "Cleopatra" - particularly one boasting both Jolie's star power and the allure of Academy-beloved producer Scott Rudin - is bound to draw more top-tier talent, and "Brokeback Mountain" director Ang Lee is just one of the auteurs reportedly circling the film at this time.
The updated cinematic interpretation of Cleopatra's life and times is based on Stacy Schiff's 2011 biography "Cleopatra: A Life," which was optioned by Rudin as a starring vehicle for Jolie prior to publication.
The Egyptian Queen was portrayed most famously by Elizabeth Taylor in the budget-inflated 1963 film version of the ancient tale, which ended up losing money for 20th Century Fox despite being the highest-grossing film of that year. It was subsequently nominated for nine Academy Awards, winning four but losing out in all the major categories.
Do you think Fincher would have been a good choice to direct "Cleopatra," or are his energies best directed elsewhere? Sound off in the comments.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
3 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels Watch an Extended Trailer for CBS's Under the Dome (VIDEO)
- Listen to Selena Gomez's 'Come & Get It' Remixes Katy Perry vs. Rita Ora vs. Beyonce vs. Kesha vs. Demi Lovato – Who Wore It Best? Chris Brown Launches New 'Channel' Website, Gets More Personal Than Ever
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- 'Zombieland' TV Series: Amazon Passes on the Pilot 'How I Met Your Mother' Final Season Spoilers: Producers Explain Time-Turning Format Change 'The Hangover Part 3′ Red-Band NSFW Trailer: It's Time to End the Trilogy
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- Ilana Rapp: Actor Richard Harmon From Bates Motel and Continuum Talks about SpongeBob Squarepants and Yoga 'The Last Classic TV Comedy'? 'Biggest Loser' Host: 'I've Never Seen Jillian Eat A Cupcake'
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel