'Dark Knight Rises' outselling 'The Avengers' in advance ticket sales
Fandango reports the Bat-flick has sold out more than 2,000 showtimes nationwide
Batman is currently whooping The Avengers' asses...at the box-office, at least.
"The Dark Knight Rises" is outperforming the blockbuster Joss Whedon flick in advance ticket sales, according to Fandango, with the former already selling out more than 2,000 showtimes across the country.
“The IMAX showtimes are particular fast-sellers, as almost every one of our Thursday midnight IMAX showtimes have been sold out," said Fandango Executive VP and General Manager Rick Butler in a statement. "The good news is that theater owners are continually posting new showtimes on Fandango to meet the fan demand, so tickets are still available.”
The hugely-anticipated Christopher Nolan finale currently makes up a whopping 91% of daily ticket sales. It is now on track to become one of the top-selling titles in the site's history.
Some more interesting statistics from the online ticket seller, based on a recent survey of over one thousand "Dark Knight Rises" ticket buyers:
97% said the darker tone made them more interested in seeing the movie
89% claimed the new villain, Bane, made them excited to see the film
72% consider themselves fans of director Christopher Nolan
62% said they’re anxious to see it because more than an hour of the film was shot in IMAX
"The Avengers," for the record, has now grossed more than $1.4 billion worldwide, with over $600 million of that coming from domestic receipts. It now stands as the third-highest-grossing movie of all time both globally and in North America (though its impressive performance must also be put in context of the film's massive 3-D ticket sales).
Are you planning on seeing "The Dark Knight Rises" this weekend? Think it can beat "The Avengers"' blockbuster tally at the box-office? Sound off in the comments!
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
11 days ago
30 days ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- 'Da Vinci's Demons' Review: "The Devil" 'Assassin's Creed' Movie Slated For Memorial Day 2015 Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas'
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition