'Dark Knight Rises'' Michael Caine on Christopher Nolan: 'Chris is very secretive'
Legendary actor recalls his first meeting with the writer/director for 'Batman Begins'
Christopher Nolan is clearly skilled in the art of the ambush - just ask Michael Caine.
"I was at home one Sunday morning about nine years ago, and there was a knock on the door, and there was Chris standing there," recalled Caine, speaking at a press conference for "The Dark Knight Rises" over the weekend. "And I recognized him [as] the man who had directed two films...'Memento' and the other one...'Insomnia.' And he had a script, and I thought 'oh, this is gonna be a lovely little thriller we're gonna do.'"
Little did he realize that Nolan had something considerably bigger in mind.
"So he came in...and I said 'what's the name of the movie?'" Caine continued, speaking in that famous cockney accent. "And he said, 'Batman Begins.'...and I thought 'bloody hell, he's gonna do some great big movie!' And I thought, 'I'm too old play Batman, I wonder who he wants me to be?' I knew it wasn't Catwoman. And he said, 'the butler.'"
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
"He gave me the script, and...I said 'I'll give you a ring tomorrow.' And he said - Chris is very secretive, very secretive - and he said 'no, I want you to read the script now and I'm taking it away with me.' He didn't want me to keep it! So he had a cup of tea with my missus, I read it, and I said 'yes, I'll do it.'...I was stunned by the writing, because it was a relationship...it wasn't just like cipher characters that you normally get in these big special effect stunt movies. They were real, real people, and [it was] written like a drama. And I said yes, and I've never regretted saying that for one moment."
The lesson? If you're an acting legend and your quiet Sunday morning at home is interrupted by a knock at the front door, it might just behoove you to answer it.
"The Dark Knight Rises" hits theaters on July 20.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
8 days ago
27 days ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Why They Went 'Crazy' 30 EPIC Wedding Disasters 'No One Lives Forever'
- Hear This: Connections gives a Guided By Voices-indebted reason to go for the opener Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing
- Reese Witherspoon Joins Paul Thomas Anderson's 'Inherent Vice' CBS Fall 2013 Trailers: Sarah Michelle Gellar's 'Crazy Ones,' Anna Faris' Mom' and More! Sony Trademarks Possible PlayStation 4 Slogan "Greatness Awaits"
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural CBS's 2013-2014 Schedule: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born Demi Lovato Gets New 'Warrior'-Inspired Tattoo [Pic]
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)