'The Dark Knight Rises' joins 'Avatar' in IMAX's $100 million club
Superhero threequel becomes second film to cross giant-screen milestone
"The Dark Knight Rises" has reached another box-office milestone.
Having already surpassed the $1 billion mark in global ticket sales over the weekend, the Christopher Nolan threequel is now being touted as only the second film in history to have grossed more than $100 million on IMAX screens, with $65.1 million of that total coming from North America and $37.3 million from international markets. It crossed the milestone in only seven weeks of release.
"The Dark Knight Rises"' giant-screen take was no doubt boosted considerably by Nolan's unprecedented use of IMAX cameras during filming, with more than an hour of IMAX-shot footage being incorporated into the finished film - an achievement extensively publicized by Warner Bros.
It should be noted that moviegoers pay a premium to attend IMAX showings, as the average ticket price is several dollars higher than for a standard admission.
Did you see "The Dark Knight Rises" in IMAX? Was it worth the extra cost? Give us your thoughts below.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
12 days ago
about 1 month ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- Carly Rae Jepsen's 'Call Me Maybe' Captures Top Digital Song Honor at 2013 Billboard Music Awards Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Win Best Rap Song for 'Thrift Shop' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards 2013 Billboard Music Awards Gets a Tour From Taylor Swift's '22′ Performance [Video]
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Four: The Coen brothers return to the festival with a folk-rock flashback Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19) Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy
- 'Doctor Who' Season 8 Confirmed, Steven Moffat to Return The Wrap Up: Behind-the-Scenes Image from 'Godzilla' Shows a Train in Peril Batman: Arkham Origins Will See the Return of Kevin Conroy
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)