D'Angelo gives stirring comeback performance at BET Awards
R&B singer hits the stage for his first television appearance in a decade
D'Angelo is officially on the comeback trail.
The reclusive R&B star gave his first U.S. television performance in over a decade at the BET Awards this evening, opening with his best-known tune "Untitled (How Does It Feel)" (which, if you'll remember, became the subject of a steamy, now-iconic music video) before segueing into a funky new Stevie Wonder-style number that had the star-studded crowd at Los Angeles' Shrine Auditorium rising to their feet.
It was an impressive performance, particularly considering how long D'Angelo has been out of the public eye. Only in the past few months has he made a return to live performing, first with a concert in a Stockholm church (!) back in January and more recently with a surprise 90-minute set at the Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival. His voice is in remarkably good shape, possessing all the silk and only a little more rasp than it did during his platinum-selling heyday.
What really made the performance a success was just how much energy the R&B crooner brought to the stage. What could have been a perfunctory nostalgia appearance instead became a potent reassertion of his formidable talents, not only as a singer but as an entertainer capable of holding an enthralled audience in the palm of his hand. With his long-awaited third album "James River" reportedly close to completion, this could be the beginning of an exciting new chapter in the singer's career. Let's just hope he doesn't go away again anytime soon.
You can check out the full performance below. After watching, sound off with your thoughts in the comments!
Follow me on Twitter @HitFixChris
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
3 months ago
6 months ago
|Discuss Music General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In! 'Star Trek' And Klingon: Learn The Language Of The Aliens!
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More The CW's 2013-2014 Schedule: Supernatural Switches Nights Again, The Vampire Diaries Pairs With Reign Watch the Trailers for The CW's New Series, Including The 100, Star-Crossed, and Reign (VIDEO)
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- Hulu.com: Is The Office the Definitive TV Show of the '00s? Craziest 'Simpsons' Couch Gag Yet? Denied By PBS?
- Weekend Movies: 'Star Trek Into Darkness,' 'Black Rock,' and More Bruce Willis Set for 'Expiration': Actor Will Play Hitman in Next Movie Emma Watson Says She is in No Rush 'To Be Seen as a Woman'
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- State of Decay, TMNT Release Dates Leaked by Gamestop Watch 'The Hangover 3′ Stars Zach Galifianakis and Ken Jeong Perform Stand-Up Together in 1998 'Pacific Rim' Trailer: When Man and Machine Become One
- One Direction Announce Where We Are Stadium Tour for 2014 Miley Cyrus Wants Everyone to Know She's Still Engaged by Posting This New Pic Most Anticipated Album Release for June 2013 – Readers Poll