Comedy pilots: David Spade joins 'Bad Management,' 'Office' alums book next gigs and more
Also: Will Arnett gets a sister, Chyler Leigh survives a plane crash
A rundown of today's pilot deals in the comedy arena...
- David Spade and Rachael Harris ("New Girl," "The Hangover") have been cast in ABC's comedy pilot "Bad Management," about the conflict that arises when the head of a high-end department store (the previously-cast Sharon Horgan) butts heads with the son of her boss (Spade), who decides to sex up the company's image with a focus on youth and beauty. Harris, who will play one of the store's employees, is also writing and executive-producing the prospective series. Spade is in second position for the project, as he's still committed to starring in the next season of CBS's "Rules of Engagement" if it ends up being renewed (it's currently "on the bubble"). [EW]
- "Office" alum Melora Hardin has been set for TBS workplace comedy "Do It Yourself," a multi-camera pilot about Nick, a twentysomething math teacher who's forced to get a job at a big-box store and ultimately becomes the leader of the band of misfits he works alongside. Hardin will play Nick's paranoid, power-hungry boss Kate in the potential series, which was written by Walt Becker ("Glory Daze") and Rob Long (TBS's "Sullivan & Son"). TBS regular James Widdoes ("Sullivan & Son," "Men at Work") has been tapped to direct the pilot. [Deadline]
TV casting roundup: CBS hosts a 'Twilight' reunion, 'Sleepy Hollow' casts Ichabod & more
Also: Patrick Fugit gets 'Reckless' and Jay Hernandez is 'Gang Related'
'Pushing Daisies' star will lead AMC's 'Halt and Catch Fire' pilot
Mackenzie Davis will also star in the period drama
- Mary Elizabeth Ellis ("It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia") has been cast as Will Arnett's sister in CBS's untitled Greg Garcia comedy pilot, which centers on Jack (Arnett), a recent divorcee whose life becomes even more complicated when his parents begin having marital problems. JB Smoove ("Curb Your Enthusiasm") and Margo Martindale are also on board to star in the multi-cam pilot as Jack's best friend and mother, respectively. The prospective series will be written by Garcia ("Raising Hope," "My Name Is Earl"), with Jim Burrows on tap to direct the pilot episode. [TVLine]
- Melanie Leishman has been cast opposite "Bridesmaids" co-screenwriter Annie Mumolo in the ABC comedy pilot "Middle Age Rage," which centers on Carol, a middle-aged wife and mother who decides she's tired of feeling invisible and speaks up in an effort to demand respect from her family. Leishman will star as Carol's teenage daughter Cass. The series comes from Emmy-winning writer Cheryl Holliday ("Still Standing," "Norm"). [Deadline]
- Chyler Leigh ("Grey's Anatomy") has been tapped to star in the NBC comedy pilot "Holding Patterns," a multi-cam sitcom about a group of friends forced to deal with their irrevocably-altered lives after they survive a plane crash. Leigh is slated to play Leah, a sarcastic, absent-minded slacker whose heart is in the right place. The series comes from Justin Spitzer ("The Office"). [TVLine]
Thoughts on any of the above? As usual, feel free to sound off below.
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival CBS's 2013-2014 Season: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- Demi Moore & Ashton Kutcher in $10M Tug of War 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier': Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Anthony Mackie Spotted in D.C. (VIDEO) Katie Holmes Attracts the Wrong Kind of Attention on 'Mania Days' Set
- In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness Digital Multiplex: The Last Stand, Side Effects, and More RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: Ambitious, Time-Jumping Epic Cloud Atlas
- Best Alicia Keys Instagram Photos – Picture Perfect Taylor Swift Fan Arrested for Swimming Near Her Rhode Island Beach House Taylor Swift vs. Pink vs. Rihanna vs. Beyonce: Whose Tour Costume Do You Like Best? – Readers Poll
- Hulu.com: 7 Things That Wouldn't Exist Without The Office Larry Womack: In Defense of (the Original) James T. Kirk 'Storage Wars': Ivy Finds Giant Clam Shell
- 'Star Trek' Baddie Benedict Cumberbatch Reveals Role's Biggest Challenge Cannes Film Festival 2013: Our Must-See Movies 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Sounds
- Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing TV Roundtable: When My Boys tested its prickly chemistry by inviting some new faces to the poker table The Walkthrough: The New Girl showrunners on topping season two’s big kiss (Part 5 of 5)
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is What Goes Bump in the Night 'The Simpsons' Taps Kristen Wiig For Guest Arc As FBI Agent CBS Fall 2013 Schedule: 'Mike & Molly' to 2014, More Comedy Thursday, and 'Hawaii' to Friday