Colin Farrell and Noomi Rapace unleash hell in gritty 'Dead Man Down' trailer: Watch
'Blood demands blood' in latest from 'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' director
- Critic's Rating B+
- Readers' Rating B+
"Revenge. I've never thought about it before. But when I saw you, I knew I had my answer."
Those ominous words are spoken by Noomi Rapace ("Prometheus") at the beginning of the new trailer for "Dead Man Down," a gritty upcoming action thriller helmed by Rapace's "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" director Niels Arden Oplev. The film centers on Victor (Farrell), the employee of a ruthless crime overlord (Terrence Howard) who agrees to help a badly-scarred woman (Rapace) get even with his boss - the man whose actions directly resulted in her disfigured appearance.
Based on the gloomy, hard-bitten first trailer, "Dead Man Down" looks to be a dreary, pull-no-punches thriller with a morally-complex central duo (there is a noir-ish quality to the setup), crepuscular visual style and high body count. In short: you'll probably come out of this thing feeling like you need to take a shower.
The problem here is that while the trailer does a good job of setting up the film's tone, Farrell and Rapace aren't exactly audience draws, and Oplev's "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" credentials will likely only draw in that franchise's hardcore fans. Add to that the somber atmosphere that's established and this may prove a hard sell with mainstream audiences - though genre aficionados who don't mind their action movies a little down and dirty may well be appeased.
My grade: B+. After watching the trailer below, rate it for yourself at top left.
"Dead Man Down" is slated for release on March 8.
News From Our Partners
- Why Do I Own This?: A pint glass nicked from Forks, Washington, a.k.a. “Twilight, U.S.A.” Scenic Routes: A quiet scene from The Matrix demonstrates how to make exposition compelling Nerd Curious: Why the essential collection Bradbury Stories explains how to live forever
- Sony Teases PlayStation 4 E3 Console Reveal in New Video George Takei as Every Character in 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Nintendo Promises Details on New 3D Mario, Smash Bros Before E3
- The Women TV Is Still Missing Jason Isaacs Reveals The One Co-Star He Won't Work With Again WATCH: La Toya's Tearful Break-Up Phone Call
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast? 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Spoiler Special: Burning Questions Answered 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now!
- One Direction Thank Their Fans for 2013 Billboard Music Award Wins Drake + Jay-Z Working on New Music [Pic] Taylor Swift Gets Grossed Out When Selena Gomez + Justin Bieber Kiss Backstage at 2013 Billboard Awards [Pics]
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- 'Star Wars Rebels': New Animated Series Will Take Place Between 'Episode III and 'Episode IV' James Badge Dale, 'Iron Man 3' Star, Is Also in 'World War Z' and 'The Lone Ranger' 'Blue Jasmine' Poster Debut: Cate Blanchett Is Strikingly Stoic (PHOTO)
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings! Hey TV.com, Should I Watch The Goodwin Games?