'Chronicle''s Dane DeHaan joins 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' cast as Harry Osborn
Character becomes second Green Goblin in the comic book mythology
Marc Webb has found his Green Goblin.
Or at least, he's found his Harry Osborn (the best friend of Peter Parker who eventually becomes the second iteration of the arch-villain in the comic books), as "Chronicle" star Dane HeHaan has officially been cast in the coveted role. According to some earlier reports, the actor was up against thesps including Sam Claflin, Eddie Redmayne, Boyd Holbrok, Douglas Booth, Brady Corbet and Alden Ehrenreich for the part.
"Meet Harry Osborn. So excited to have him on board. @danedehaan," tweeted Webb earlier today, confirming the actor's attachment. Said the director later, in a statement: "Dane is an extraordinary young actor and he is a fantastic addition to our cast."
DeHaan is already well-versed in playing an ordinary teenager-turned-supervillain, as his character in "Chronicle" followed a similar trajectory.
Osborn was played by James Franco in Sam Raimi's original "Spider-Man" trilogy.
Production on the 3D sequel is slated to begin early next year, with a release date set for May 2, 2014. DeHaan will co-star opposite returning cast members Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone, along with franchise first-timers Shailene Woodley (as Mary Jane Watson) and Jamie Foxx (as the villainous Electro). Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci ("Transformers," "Star Trek"), along with Jeff Pinkner, penned the screenplay from an earlier draft by "Amazing Spider-Man" writer James Vanderbilt.
DeHaan will next be seen opposite Bradley Cooper and Ryan Gosling in Derek Cianfrance's ("Blue Valentine") upcoming crime drama "The Place Beyond the Pines." In addition to "Chronicle," his recent credits include John Hillcoat's "Lawless" and Steven Spielberg's "Lincoln" starring Daniel Day-Lewis.
"The Amazing Spider-Man" was released this past July to generally positive reviews. The reboot grossed more than $750 million worldwide.
Are you happy with DeHaan's casting, or would you have preferred a different actor? Sound off in the comments.
News From Our Partners
- Reese Witherspoon Joins Paul Thomas Anderson's 'Inherent Vice' CBS Fall 2013 Trailers: Sarah Michelle Gellar's 'Crazy Ones,' Anna Faris' Mom' and More! Sony Trademarks Possible PlayStation 4 Slogan "Greatness Awaits"
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural CBS's 2013-2014 Schedule: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born Demi Lovato Gets New 'Warrior'-Inspired Tattoo [Pic]
- 'Angry Birds' Film Dive-Bombing Into Theaters In 2016 'Fast & Furious 6' Blasts Forward With Exclusive Clip: Watch Now! 'Riddick' Trailer: Watch Vin Diesel Fight For Survival
- Why They Went 'Crazy' 30 EPIC Wedding Disasters 'No One Lives Forever'