Christian star Chris Tomlin burns bright on Billboard 200
Singer-songwriter tops 'Les Miserables,' Hollywood Undead, Taylor Swift
Christian singer/songwriter Chris Tomlin earns his first No. 1 album on the Billboard 200 chart this week, as his "Burning Lights" sold 73,000 copies according to Nielsen SoundScan.
It's the biggest selling week for a Christian or gospel release since Casting Crowns' 2011 set "Come to the Well," which bowed at No. 2 and sold 99,000 copies.
Hollywood Undead's latest, "Notes From the Underground," debuts at No. 2 after selling 53,000 in its first week. Their 201 "American Tragedy," topped out at at No. 4.
The "Les Miserables" soundtrack slides from the top spot to No. 3, after moving 52,000 copies (down 44% from the previous week).
Taylor Swift's "Red" also slid, from No. 3 to 4, pushing another 49,000 units (down 29%).
The leggy "Pitch Perfect" soundtrack closes out the top 5. It sold 45,000 (down 13% from last week). The film, which stars Anna Kendrick and Rebel Wilson, is now on DVD and Blu-ray.
Bruno Mars' "Unorthodox Jukebox" stays at No. 6, with just over 42,000 sold. He's currently the Hot 100 champion.
Rockers Black Veil Brides' "Wretched and Divine: The Story of the Wild Ones" makes a strong debut at No. 7, selling 42,000, which easily bests their No. 17 "Set the World On Fire" (2011).
The Lumineers' self-titled album is also staying put, at No. 8 with 37,000 (down 28%)
Veteran Boston pop-punkers Dropkick Murphys bow at No. 9 with with "Signed and Sealed in Blood" (33,000 sold). It's there second top ten release in their 15-year-plus career.
One Direction's massive "Take Me Home" sold another 29,000, dropping them from No. 5 to No. 10.
Overall album sales are down 19% from last week, but down just 1% compared to the same week in 2012. So far this year, album sales are up 4% compared to last year at this time.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
3 months ago
6 months ago
|Discuss Music General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Behind The Shocking 'Grey's Anatomy' Finale WATCH: Tobias Fünke's New Sizzle Reel Is Epic JLo Steals Spotlight On 'American Idol'
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas' 'Rapturepalooza' Trailer: Anna Kendrick Gets Seduced by Satan 'Doctor Who' Season 8: Matt Smith Confirmed to Stay Another Year?
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title