Chris O'Dowd and Christopher Guest's 'Family Tree' headed to HBO
Comedy will be in the same documentary style as Guest's films
Chris O'Dowd is teaming with improv master Christopher Guest for a new comedy series for BBC and HBO.
The two networks gave the straight-to-series order for the single-camera comedy "Family Tree" earlier today, according to Deadline.
The show was created by Guest and Jim Piddock, who will co-write the series with Guest also taking on directing duties.
Like Guest's hit film mockumentaries "Waiting For Guffman," "Best on Show" and "A Mighty Wind," the show will be documentary-style comedy.
It centers on Tom Chadwick (O’Dowd), an unemployed single man down on his luck, who begins exploring his family's strange past after inheriting a trunkful of odd heirlooms from his deceased great aunt.
Guest will also play a supporting role.
There's no word on when "Family Tree" will debut, but likely sometime next year.
O'Dowd was the breakout star of Britain's "The IT Crowd" and the hit film comedy "Bridesmaids," and will soon be seen in Judd Apatow's "This is 40."
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- 'The Voice' Recap: Top 8 Revealed, Blake Shelton + Miranda Lambert Perform 'Over You' T-ara Member Hyomin Shows Off Her Sexy Side in Korean InStyle [Pics] Listen to David Guetta's Remix of Empire of the Sun's 'Alive
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
- HomeVideo Review: My Neighbor Totoro / Howl’s Moving Castle TV Club 10: What made The Middle one of the best family comedies in years For Our Consideration: Will indie-rock reunions become just part of the plan?
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season
- Who Won 'DWTS'? Backstage Drama Leads To 'Nashville' Changes Who Went Home On 'The Voice'?
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million