Chloë Moretz and Julianne Moore tackle Stephen King as 'Carrie' begins shooting
'Boys Don't Cry's' Kimberly Peirce directing film in Toronto
"Carrie" is back.
The MGM/Screen Gems "reimagining" of Stephen King's first novel has started production in Toronto (subbing for Maine), with Chloe Grace Moretz in the lead.
In "Carrie," a tormented teenager is pushed too far, causing her spooky telekinetic powers to manifest themselves at school. Director Kimberly Peirce has dealt with bullied outsiders before, in 1999's acclaimed "Boys Don't Cry." She also directed the 2008 Iraq war-themed drama "Stop-Loss" with Ryan Phillippe, Channing Tatum, Abbie Cornish and Joseph Gordon-Levitt.
With teen bullying a hot topic in the media right now, "Carrie" should strike a nerve, especially with multiple Oscar nominee Julianne Moore playing (overplaying?) the teen girl's overbearing mother. Judy Greer ("The Descendants") also stars, while Portia Doubleday ("Youth in Revolt"), Gabriella Wilde ("The Three Musketeers") and newcomer Ansel Elgort play the mean teens.
Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa ("Big Love") adapted the novel.
"Carrie" was the basis for Brian DePalma's hit 1976 film, which starred Sissy Spacek as Carrie and Piper Laurie as her mother. There was a little-seen sequel in 1999 called "The Rage: Carrie 2," starring Emily Bergl as a high school student who suffers a fate similar to Carrie's.
Probably best known for playing Hit-Girl in 2010's "Kick-Ass," Moretz was recently seen in Tim Burton's "Dark Shadows" and Martin Scorsese's "Hugo."
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
4 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season The Big C Series Finale Review: And They Lived Happily Ever After
- Hear This: An early Walkmen song gets anti-nostalgic Watch This: Thunder Road is one of the first, and finest, automotive action movies off the Hollywood lot Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Six: Michael Douglas plays Liberace in Steven Soderbergh’s swan song, Behind The Candelabra
- GIFS: 10 TV Housekeepers That Ran The Show Megan Smolenyak: Celebrity Roots Series "Who Do You Think You Are?" Returns This Is Going To Be AMAZING
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
- T-ara Member Hyomin Shows Off Her Sexy Side in Korean InStyle [Pics] Listen to David Guetta's Remix of Empire of the Sun's 'Alive Demi Lovato to Have Her Tonsils Removed
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
- Xbox One Will Require Daily Internet Connection 'Hannibal' "Trou Normand" Preview: Is Will Losing His Mind? Quantum Break Trailer: Remedy Returns With Xbox One Exclusive