Britney Spears crowned music's top-earning woman over Taylor Swift and Rihanna
New Forbes list counts down the industry's biggest moneymakers
More than 13 years since her arrival on the music scene, Britney Spears is still a pop-culture force to be reckoned with.
The "X Factor" judge earned a whopping $58 million between May 2011 and May 2012, according to Forbes, enough for the magazine to crown her as music's top-earning woman in a list published today.
The former teen queen, whose "X Factor" payday apparently fell outside the designated earning period, made the majority of that money via a combination of touring, album sales (her latest LP "Femme Fatale" has been certified platinum), an Elizabeth Arden fragrance line and several lucrative endorsement deals.
Coming up just short of the top slot is No. 2 finisher Taylor Swift, who earned a piddling $57 million over the same period. The country crossover star's smash "Speak Now" tour (which during its run grossed a reported $1 million a show) and endorsements with the likes of Sony and CoverGirl netted the 23-year-old awards-magnet the majority of that total.
In No. 3 with $53 million is everyone's favorite Barbadian-American pop songstress/controversy-stirrer Rihanna, whose tireless touring schedule and endorsements with Nivea and Vita Coco - not to mention, yes, her own fragrance - filled her coffers to "overflowing" during the prescribed earning period.
Rounding out the top five are Lady Gaga and Katy Perry, who earned $52 million and $45 million, respectively, thanks to extensive touring schedules, blockbuster music sales and - in Mother Monster's case - a fragrance dubbed, appropriately enough, "Fame." Which pays, apparently.
Can you guess which other female musicians finished in the Forbes Top 10? Check out the full list below.
1) Britney Spears: $58 million
2) Taylor Swift: $57 million
3) Rihanna: $53 million
4) Lady Gaga: $52 million
5) Katy Perry: $45 million
6) Beyonce: $40 million
7) Adele: $35 million
8) Sade: $33 million
9) Madonna: $30 million
10) Shakira: $20 million
Thoughts on the list? Anyone you were surprised didn't make the cut?
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More
- Christopher Nolan for James Bond Movie? Director Allegedly Courted to Direct Edward Furlong, 'Terminator 2' Star, Arrested Again Cannes 2013: $1M in Jewelry Stolen at Film Festival
- Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- YESSSSSSS... Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? The Ultimate Office Blooper Reel
- Demi Lovato vs. Perrie Edwards – PopCrush Prom Queen of 2013, Round 3 Justin Bieber vs. Austin Mahone – PopCrush Prom King of 2013, Round 3 Demi Lovato Sings Selena Gomez's Praises [Video]
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When