'Breaking Dawn Pt. 2' begins the goodbye with $30.4 million from Midnights
Is a record weekend in Bella's future?
These are melancholy times for "Twilight" fans. On one hand, the second act of "Breaking Dawn" is finally in theaters. Of course, it's also currently the last film based on Stephenie Meyers' popular vampire saga. As demonstrated by the huge interest when "Harry Potter" ended with "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Pt. 2" a little over a year ago, it was no surprise that "Twilight" fans flocked to their local multiplexes at midnight to say goodbye to Bella, Edward and Jacob.
"The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn, Pt. 2" pulled in $30.4 million from midnight screenings for a massive start to the three-day frame. The figure is a tad higher than "Breaking Dawn, Pt. 1's" $30.25 million and "Eclipse's" $30 million midnight cumes.
While impressive, the $30.4 million gross is still far behind "Deathly Hallows, Pt. 2's" $43.5 million midnight record. Comparatively, "The Avengers" and "The Dark Knight Rises" found $18.7 million and $30.6 million from the witching hour earlier this year.
Pre-release polling indicates "Breaking Dawn, Pt. 2" has a solid chance of breaking the franchise's opening weekend record of $142.8 million set three years ago.
The expected blockbuster will have plenty of competition, however. "Skyfall" is coming off a massive $90 million opening frame and has already grossed $114 million in just six days. DreamWorks' "Lincoln" is also expanding to over 1,700 theaters. "Silver Linings Playbook" and "Anna Karenina" are both opening in 16 engagements across the country.
Look for box office updates Saturday and Sunday on HitFix.
News From Our Partners
- Kanye West Debuts 'Black Skinhead' Kanye Storms 'SNL' The 'Doctors' Unite
- Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- Announcement Trailer is Full of Swords and Ponytails SNL: Ben Affleck Joins the "Fiver Timers Club" and Explains His Oscar Speech SNL: Iran Responds to 'Argo' With a Film of Its Own
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19) Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition