Brand-new Flaming Lips track scores 'epic' Hyundai Super Bowl spot
Rock group composes an original tune for the Korean carmaker's latest ad
The Flaming Lips are invading this year's Super Bowl. Sort of.
The quirky rock band have composed a brand new song for Hyundai's latest commercial, a 60-second spot entitled "Epic Playdate" that's set to air during Sunday's big game.
The slick new ad, which debuted earlier today on Billboard.com, sees an "average suburban family" going on a series of adventures in their new Hyundai sport-utility vehicle, all scored to the upbeat new Lips tune "Sun Blows Up Today" (the band members themselves also make an appearance). The song - which plays over scenes of the seemingly-innocuous clan engaging in a series of "rebellious" activities (including going for a joyride in one of the giant clear balloons regularly crowdsurfed in by Lips frontman Wayne Coyne) - will also be included as a bonus track on the iTunes release of the group's forthcoming album "The Terror."
Black Keys head into studio for new album and book tour with Flaming Lips
Band taking the summer off
Added Warner Bros. Records exec Lori Feldman, senior VP of the label's brand partnerships division: "Hyundai really understands and appreciates what the Flaming Lips are all about."
As an added bonus for the band, the Korean carmaker will give away 100,000 free downloads of the song via their website in order to build awareness for the new album.
"The Terror" hits stores on April 2. Super Bowl XLVII airs this Sunday.
After watching the full ad below, let us know you think of The Flaming Lips' newfound corporate synergy in the comments.
News From Our Partners
- Best Alicia Keys Instagram Photos – Picture Perfect Taylor Swift Fan Arrested for Swimming Near Her Rhode Island Beach House Taylor Swift vs. Pink vs. Rihanna vs. Beyonce: Whose Tour Costume Do You Like Best? – Readers Poll
- Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing TV Roundtable: When My Boys tested its prickly chemistry by inviting some new faces to the poker table The Walkthrough: The New Girl showrunners on topping season two’s big kiss (Part 5 of 5)
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is What Goes Bump in the Night 'The Simpsons' Taps Kristen Wiig For Guest Arc As FBI Agent CBS Fall 2013 Schedule: 'Mike & Molly' to 2014, More Comedy Thursday, and 'Hawaii' to Friday
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival CBS's 2013-2014 Season: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- Demi Moore & Ashton Kutcher in $10M Tug of War 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier': Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Anthony Mackie Spotted in D.C. (VIDEO) Katie Holmes Attracts the Wrong Kind of Attention on 'Mania Days' Set
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- 'Star Trek' Baddie Benedict Cumberbatch Reveals Role's Biggest Challenge Cannes Film Festival 2013: Our Must-See Movies 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Sounds
- Hulu.com: 7 Things That Wouldn't Exist Without The Office Larry Womack: In Defense of (the Original) James T. Kirk 'Storage Wars': Ivy Finds Giant Clam Shell