Brad Pitt turns action hero in explosive 'World War Z' trailer: Watch
You've never seen so many CGI zombies
- Critic's Rating C
- Readers' Rating B-
Who knew working for the U.N. could be so exciting?
Brad Pitt hijacks a motorhome, leaps across rooftops, wields an automatic weapon and engages in all other manner of action hero-style antics in the first official trailer for "World War Z," director Marc Forster's upcoming adaptation of Max Brooks's bestselling 2006 novel about a United Nations employee (Pitt) who leaps into action after a zombie apocalypse sweeps across the globe.
Literal mountain of CG zombies aside, this first spot is actually pretty standard stuff - family gets trapped in bad situation, bad situation turns worse, lots of things blow up, Daddy takes charge and saves the day. Sure, it all looks great (and it better, considering a production budget rumored to be anywhere between $125 to $200 million), but it doesn't get the blood pumping the way it should've.
Indeed, given the checkered history of the film's production - Drew Goddard ("Cloverfield," "The Cabin in the Woods") was brought in to revamp the film's third act earlier this year, forcing several weeks of re-shoots and a release-date switch from December 2012 to next June - seeing this rather lackluster first preview doesn't exactly inspire confidence. If Paramount is looking to bring in the big bucks with this sucker next year, they'll need to do a whole lot better than this. Luckily they've still got seven months left to wow us.
My grade for the trailer: C. After watching it below, rate it for yourself at top left.
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- Announcement Trailer is Full of Swords and Ponytails SNL: Ben Affleck Joins the "Fiver Timers Club" and Explains His Oscar Speech SNL: Iran Responds to 'Argo' With a Film of Its Own
- Kanye West Debuts 'Black Skinhead' Kanye Storms 'SNL' The 'Doctors' Unite
- Watch 2PM Give Each Other Hugs, Spankings + Piggyback Rides at '2PM Is Back With Genie' Concert [Video] Would Adam Lambert Judge 'American Idol?' [Video] Chris Brown Receiving Death Threats
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19) Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy