Brad Pitt turns action hero in explosive 'World War Z' trailer: Watch
You've never seen so many CGI zombies
- Critic's Rating C
- Readers' Rating B-
Who knew working for the U.N. could be so exciting?
Brad Pitt hijacks a motorhome, leaps across rooftops, wields an automatic weapon and engages in all other manner of action hero-style antics in the first official trailer for "World War Z," director Marc Forster's upcoming adaptation of Max Brooks's bestselling 2006 novel about a United Nations employee (Pitt) who leaps into action after a zombie apocalypse sweeps across the globe.
Literal mountain of CG zombies aside, this first spot is actually pretty standard stuff - family gets trapped in bad situation, bad situation turns worse, lots of things blow up, Daddy takes charge and saves the day. Sure, it all looks great (and it better, considering a production budget rumored to be anywhere between $125 to $200 million), but it doesn't get the blood pumping the way it should've.
Indeed, given the checkered history of the film's production - Drew Goddard ("Cloverfield," "The Cabin in the Woods") was brought in to revamp the film's third act earlier this year, forcing several weeks of re-shoots and a release-date switch from December 2012 to next June - seeing this rather lackluster first preview doesn't exactly inspire confidence. If Paramount is looking to bring in the big bucks with this sucker next year, they'll need to do a whole lot better than this. Luckily they've still got seven months left to wow us.
My grade for the trailer: C. After watching it below, rate it for yourself at top left.
News From Our Partners
- State of Decay, TMNT Release Dates Leaked by Gamestop Watch 'The Hangover 3′ Stars Zach Galifianakis and Ken Jeong Perform Stand-Up Together in 1998 'Pacific Rim' Trailer: When Man and Machine Become One
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More The CW's 2013-2014 Schedule: Supernatural Switches Nights Again, The Vampire Diaries Pairs With Reign Watch the Trailers for The CW's New Series, Including The 100, Star-Crossed, and Reign (VIDEO)
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- One Direction Announce Where We Are Stadium Tour for 2014 Miley Cyrus Wants Everyone to Know She's Still Engaged by Posting This New Pic Most Anticipated Album Release for June 2013 – Readers Poll
- Weekend Movies: 'Star Trek Into Darkness,' 'Black Rock,' and More Bruce Willis Set for 'Expiration': Actor Will Play Hitman in Next Movie Emma Watson Says She is in No Rush 'To Be Seen as a Woman'
- Hulu.com: Is The Office the Definitive TV Show of the '00s? Craziest 'Simpsons' Couch Gag Yet? Denied By PBS?