Box office: 'Zero Dark Thirty' tops newcomers 'Gangster Squad' and 'Haunted House'
Best picture nominees receive post-nomination bump
Newcomers "A Haunted House" and "Gangster Squad" didn't stand a chance against the wide opening of "Zero Dark Thirty" at the Friday box office.
Kathryn Bigelow's controversial best picture nominee has been open in limited release for a few weeks now, but this is the first weekend its played to a wide audience, and the results are very strong, with the film earning $9 million on Friday.
"Zero Dark Thirty" will likely earn $25 million for the weekend, aided by word of mouth and its multiple Oscar nominations. Its domestic take now stands at $14.4 million.
Meanwhile, the two big new movies this week are neck and neck in theaters. Marlon Wayans' horror spoof "A Haunted House" scared up a surprisingly high $6.7 million on Friday, while the delayed all-star mobster flick "Gangster Squad" strong-armed a decent $6.6 million out of moviegoers.
Other best picture nominees received a bump at the box office as well. Quentin Tarantino's "Django Unchained" came in at No. 4 with another $3.4 million (domestic total so far: $117 million); "Les Miserables" landed at No. 5 with 2.8 ($111 million), while Steven Spielberg's "Lincoln" brought its take up to a whopping $148 million with another $1.8 million on Friday.
Wedged in there at No. 6 was Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey," which earned another $2.3 million.
Meanwhile, in its second week of release, the horror remake "Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3D" fell from the top spot all the way to No. 8, carving up $1.8 million. The domestic total for the inexpensive pic is now a bloody good $27.4 million.
Look for complete weekend estimates Sunday on HitFix.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
10 days ago
29 days ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Behind The Shocking 'Grey's Anatomy' Finale WATCH: Tobias Fünke's New Sizzle Reel Is Epic JLo Steals Spotlight On 'American Idol'
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas' 'Rapturepalooza' Trailer: Anna Kendrick Gets Seduced by Satan 'Doctor Who' Season 8: Matt Smith Confirmed to Stay Another Year?
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title