Box Office: 'Wreck-it-Ralph' wins the Friday level with $13.5 million
'Flight' surprises with $8 million
The New York Metropolitan area is the second largest moviegoing market after Southern California, so there was some concern that after the devastation of Hurricane Sandy earlier in the week that the box office could take a hit this weekend. Somewhat surprisingly, that doesn't appear to be the case.
Perhaps looking for some good laughs or inspired by the strong reviews, Walt Disney's "Wreck-it-Ralph" drew audiences to the local multiplex Friday opening with a superb $13.4 million. The Disney Animation comedy could easily gross anywhere from $48-$50 million over the weekend which is right in line with "Tangled's" debut two years ago. "Ralph" also earned an A from Cinemascore which is a sign of good word of mouth as the lucrative Thansksgiving holiday approaches.
Coming in the second slot was another new release, Robert Zemeckis' "Flight." The Denzel Washington drama pulled in $8.1 million in just 1,900 theaters or a little over half of the screens "Ralph" is on. "Flight" could easily gross $20-23 million which would be a fantastic start. Especially considering the Paramount Pictures release reportedly cost only $31 million.
Third place went to another new film, "The Man with the Iron Fists." The Universal Pictures flick is the directorial debut of hip-hop artist RZA and kung fu fought its way to $3 million. Budgeted at just $15 million, the unconventional action picture could end up with $8-9 million for the three-day.
Dropping from the top spot in its fourth week was Ben Affleck's "Argo." The expected Oscar player grossed $2.9 million and like "Fists" should find $8-9 million for the weekend. "Argo" has now amassed $68.6 million in just 22 days.
Fifth place went to "Taken 2" with $1.8 million and $121 million to date.
Look for complete box office estimates Sunday on HitFix.
News From Our Partners
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- 'Da Vinci's Demons' Review: "The Devil" 'Assassin's Creed' Movie Slated For Memorial Day 2015 Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas'
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title