Box Office: 'Wreck it Ralph' scores $49 million to reach no. 1
'Flight' takes off with a fantastic $25 million
After a subpar year for Hollywood's major studios, moviegoers have decided there are a number of reasons to return to the multiplex. The overall box office was up almost 40% over last weekend as "Wreck-it Ralph" scored with families and Denzel Washington's "Flight" reached a higher altitude than expected.
Walt Disney Animation's "Wreck-it Ralph" pulled in an impressive $49.1 million in 3,752 theaters. The CG comedy featuring the voices of John C. Reilly and Sarah Silverman also scored an important A Cinemascore which means good word of mouth should ensue. Barring any unexpected surprises, "Ralph" could gross even more than studio stablemate "Tangled's" $200 million just two years ago.
Speaking of potential best picture nominees, Warner Bros.' critically acclaimed "Argo" dropped just 15.2% for another $10.2 million and $75.8 million to date. "Argo" should easily surpass Affleck's previous directorial debut, "The Town," which found $92 million two years ago.
Debuting in fifth place was "The Man with the Iron Fists" $8.2 million. Directed by hip-hop artist RZA, "Fists" had a good $4,400 per screen in just 1,868 theaters, but it's unclear whether it will be able to recoup it's reported $15 million budget theatrically.
This week's new releases include "Skyfall" opening in IMAX on Thursday and nationwide on Friday. Steven Spielberg's "Lincoln" opens in New York and Los Angeles on Friday as well.
Final box officer results are released on Monday.
News From Our Partners
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- 'Anchorman 2′ Teaser: Stay Classy, Fat Face! Team Fortress 2′s Robotic Boogaloo Community Update Adds Even More Hats Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D to Launch with L.A. Zoo's Party Animals
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Can You Guess Which Celebrity Lives in This Mansion? Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Cover Billboard, Recall the Glory Days of Drugs, Myspace + More Lady Gaga Wears Sky High Heels to Versace Party [Pic]
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season