Box office: 'Warm Bodies' heats up Friday with $7.5 million debut
Sylvester Stallone's 'Bullet in the Head' dead on arrival
Friendly zombies took over the box office Friday night as the new film "Warm Bodies" clawed its way to the top spot, earning $7.5 million on its opening day. Meanwhile, Sylvester Stallone's new film "Bullet in the Head" was dead on arrival.
The undead romance "Bodies," starring Nicholas Hoult and Teresa Palmer is on its way to a handsome haul of between $18 and $20 million for the weekend, a fairly impressive feat because of competition from the Super Bowl. They certainly aren't "Twilight" numbers, but "Bodies" is nonetheless off to a solid start and many critics seem to approve as well.
David O. Russell's Oscar-nominated film "Silver Linings Playbook" continues to pull in enviable numbers. It earned another $2.4 million on Friday. It stands at $74.6 and could continue to be a big earner if it performs well on Oscar night.
The inexpensive, Guillermo del Toro-produced horror film "Mama" continues to thrive, scaring up another $2.3 million, and bringing its domestic total to a hearty $53.8 million.
Opening at No. 5, "Bullet in the Head" is the latest R-rated action film from an "Expendables" vet to flop in its debut weekend, following the box office duds "The Last Stand" (Arnold Schwarzenegger) and "Parker" (Jason Statham). "Bullet" earned just $1.7 million, for a projected weekend haul of only $5 million.
In limited release, the comedy "Stand Up Guys" -- starring Al Pacino, Christopher Walken and Alan Arkin -- opened in 659 theaters and earned a disappointing $528,000.
Look for complete weekend estimates Sunday on HitFix.
News From Our Partners
- Listen to Selena Gomez's 'Come & Get It' Remixes Katy Perry vs. Rita Ora vs. Beyonce vs. Kesha vs. Demi Lovato – Who Wore It Best? Chris Brown Launches New 'Channel' Website, Gets More Personal Than Ever
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels Watch an Extended Trailer for CBS's Under the Dome (VIDEO)
- 'Zombieland' TV Series: Amazon Passes on the Pilot 'How I Met Your Mother' Final Season Spoilers: Producers Explain Time-Turning Format Change 'The Hangover Part 3′ Red-Band NSFW Trailer: It's Time to End the Trilogy
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- Ilana Rapp: Actor Richard Harmon From Bates Motel and Continuum Talks about SpongeBob Squarepants and Yoga 'The Last Classic TV Comedy'? 'Biggest Loser' Host: 'I've Never Seen Jillian Eat A Cupcake'
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!