Box office: 'The Hobbit' tops 'Les Miserables' and 'Django Unchained'
Peter Jackson's "'Lord of the Rings' prequel crosses $200 million mark
With no new wide openings this weekend, Peter Jackson's "Lord of the Rings" prequel "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" easily made the return journey to the No. 1 spot at the Friday box office, picking up another $10.7 million.
Prestige pics "Django Unchained" and "Les Miserables" battled it our for second place on Friday, with the Quentin Tarantino western carving up $9.6 million and the Anne Hathaway-Hugh Jackman musical scoring $9.4 million.
"The Hobbit," the first of three films based on the book by J.R.R. Tolkien, will likely earn around $33 million for the three-day.
While it isn't quite living up to "LOTR" numbers, it has nonetheless already passed the $200 million mark in North America.
Since opening on Christmas Day, "Django Unchained" has earned an impressive $42.9 million, while "Les MIserables'" total stands slightly higher, at $48.8 million.
Meanwhile, the Billy Crystal-Bette Midler comedy showcase "Parental Guidance" continues to surprise, walking away with another $5.0 million. Its domestic total now stands at $19.8 million.
The Tom Cruise actioner "Jack Reacher" rounded out the top five, fighting its way to $4.5 million on Friday, bringing its domestic total up to $35.4 million.
Look for complete weekend estimates Sunday on HitFix.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
10 days ago
29 days ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- Mariah Carey Medleys, Jennifer Lopez Lives It Up With Pitbull on 'American Idol' Finale [Videos] Candice Glover Wins 'American Idol' Season 12 Beyonce Gets Emotional Onstage in Belgium [Video]
- Crosstalk: A fan and a newbie catch up on the first season of The Venture Bros. AVQ&A: What are your favorite and least favorite cultural baits and switches? Podmass: The Dice Man infiltrates podcasting, Casey Wilson chokes up on The JV Club, and Kumail vs. Maron
- Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? 'The Office' Finale: Michael Scott's Surprise Appearance And Your New 'American Idol' Is ...
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels