Box office: 'The Hobbit' strikes gold with $37.5 million opening on Friday
Peter Jackson's 'Rings' prequel likely to break December opening record
Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" was the one film to rule them all this Friday at the box office, earning $37.5 million. It's the biggest Friday gross in December of all time.
The total, boosting by pricier IMAX, 3D and 48 fps ticket prices, comes after the film earned $13 million at midnight showings Thursday night.
Look for it to bring it at least $85 million this weekend, which would also break the December opening weekend record.
Will Smith's 2007 sci-fi epic "I Am Legend" currently holds the title with $77.2 million.
The film, the first of three based on the book by J.R.R. Tolkien, serves as a prequel to Jackson's mammoth "Lord of the Rings" saga and stars "LOTR" vets Ian McKellen, Cate Blanchett, Hugo Weaving, Andy Serkis and Christopher Lee, as well as newcomers Martin Freeman and Richard Armitage.
Steven Spielberg's leggy "Lincoln" brought in another $1.9 million for the No. 2 spot, bringing its domestic total to $102 million. Its box office isn't likely to drop off anytime soon, as the acclaimed film keeps picking up awards left and right.Rise of the Guardians" is slowly making up for a rocky start, drawing in another $1.5 million.
Now at $65.4 million, the film's box office is less-than-expected, but seems to be hanging in there.
The final film (for now) in the juggernaut franchise, "The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn" added $1.4 million to its domestic total, which is north of $273 million. It will likely hit the magic $300 million mark soon.
Ang Lee's "Life of Pi" sailed away with another $1.4 million, bringing its U.S. box office cume to $65.5 million.
Look for complete weekend estimates Sunday on HitFix.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
4 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Ten: The big wrap-up, including Jim Jarmusch's fantastic vampire film Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer
- Demi Lovato Is Thrilled That Her Voice Is Finally Being Heard on Radio [Video] One Direction's Niall Horan Spends the Night With UK TV Star Louise Thompson Kelly Clarkson Denies 'American Idol' Judging Gig
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Do These Four New Arrested Development Clips Get You Excited for the Show's Return? (VIDEO) Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz
- 'Star Wars: Episode VI': What's Its Legacy... And Its Future? 'Arrested Development' Season Four: Eight Things To Remember 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In!
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- Mega Man X Trailer: The Blue Bomber Busts His Way to Wii U Next Week The Wrap Up: Charlie Sheen Gets a New Name For 'Machete Kills' New 'Man of Steel' TV Spot: "Why Did You Send Me Here?"