Box office: 'The Hobbit' breaks December midnight record
Peter Jackson prequel is on pace to pass 'Return of the King's' opening
Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" has finally finished making its journey to the big screen, and Middle Earth fans sure missed the director-co-writer's take on the writings of J.R.R. Tolkien.
The film, the first of three based on the slender 1937 tome "The Hobbit," picked up an estimated $13 million in midnight screenings in the U.S. on Thursday night. It's the best December midnight performance of all-time.
Opening on 3,100 theaters (it's adding nearly 1,000 more today), and aided by inflated IMAX, 3D and 48 fps ticket prices, "The Hobbit" is expected to gross somewhere between $80 million to $90 million for the weekend, which should easily pass the previous December champ -- the Will Smith's epic "I Am Legend," which scared up $77.2 million in 2007.
"The Return of the King," the last film in "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy, earned $8 million at midnight showings and $72 million over opening weekend in December of 2003.
"The Hobbit" takes place decades before the events in "LOTR," and stars Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins, an features "LOTR" vets Ian McKellen, Andy Serkis, Cate Blanchett, Hugo Weaving and Christopher Lee, plus newcomers Richard Armitage and Benedict Cumberbatch.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
17 days ago
about 1 month ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- "Fast & Furious 6" vs. "The Hangover: Part III": Which Movie Should You See? (VIDEO) 'Fast and Furious 6' Review: 10 Things You Should Know About the Action-Packed Sequel 'After Earth' Unscripted: Will and Jaden Smith on Filming With Deadly Snakes & On-Set Parenting (VIDEO)
- EA Teases Possible Star Wars: Battlefront Return Tom Cruise Leaves 'Man From U.N.C.L.E.' to Focus on 'Mission: Impossible 5′ Black Ops 2 Revolution DLC Free This Weekend
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go?
- Why He Fell Asleep During That Interview Alex Trebek Has Gone Completely Insane Arrested Development Could Really Teach Politicians A Thing Or Two
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office
- fun. Hit the Jersey Shore for 2013 'TODAY Show' Summer Concert Series Jennifer Hudson Reportedly Confirmed as 'American Idol' Judge Meet the Woman Who Won PopCrush's Autographed Pink Guitar!
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC