Box office: 'The Hobbit' breaks December midnight record
Peter Jackson prequel is on pace to pass 'Return of the King's' opening
Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" has finally finished making its journey to the big screen, and Middle Earth fans sure missed the director-co-writer's take on the writings of J.R.R. Tolkien.
The film, the first of three based on the slender 1937 tome "The Hobbit," picked up an estimated $13 million in midnight screenings in the U.S. on Thursday night. It's the best December midnight performance of all-time.
Opening on 3,100 theaters (it's adding nearly 1,000 more today), and aided by inflated IMAX, 3D and 48 fps ticket prices, "The Hobbit" is expected to gross somewhere between $80 million to $90 million for the weekend, which should easily pass the previous December champ -- the Will Smith's epic "I Am Legend," which scared up $77.2 million in 2007.
"The Return of the King," the last film in "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy, earned $8 million at midnight showings and $72 million over opening weekend in December of 2003.
"The Hobbit" takes place decades before the events in "LOTR," and stars Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins, an features "LOTR" vets Ian McKellen, Andy Serkis, Cate Blanchett, Hugo Weaving and Christopher Lee, plus newcomers Richard Armitage and Benedict Cumberbatch.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
12 days ago
about 1 month ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18 Justin Bieber + Selena Gomez Will Sit Together at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When