Box Office: 'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' sets December record with $84.7 million
Middle Earth fans give the film an 'A'
Critics might not have enjoyed Peter Jackson's return to Middle Earth, but moviegoers certainly didn't shy away from the 2 hour and 49 minute epic. "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey," rhe first of three "Hobbit" films, opened this weekend to a staggering $84.8 million over the three-day frame. That's makes "An Unexpected Journey" the biggest opening ever in December surpassing "I Am Legend's" $77.2 million in 2007. Audiences also endorsed the adventure flick giving it an 'A' Cinemascore rating. At this point, 'An Unexpected Journey' is seen as the clear first choice among moviegoers for the holiday season and it should dominate through New Year's.
Breaking ahead of a trio of films grossing just over $7 million second is DreamWorks Animations' "Rise of the Guardians." The 3D animated epic took in another $7.4 million for $71.3 million so far. It should eventually cross the $100 million mark, but it's going to take a few more weeks to do it.
Not far behind in fourth place is Sam Mendes' "Skyfall." The highest grossing 007 film of all time took in a flat $7 million for $272.3 million to date. Surpassing $300 million and $1 billion worldwide is almost guaranteed at this point.
Another Oscar contender, "Life of Pi," finished in the fifth slot with $5.4 million and $69.5 million to date.
New releases on Wednesday include "The Guilt Trip," "Monsters, Inc 3D" and both "Amour" and "Zero Dark Thirty" in limited release. On Friday, "Jack Reacher," "This is Forty" and Cirque Du Soleil: Worlds Away" open nationwide. "The Impossible," "Not Fade Away" and "On The Road" will debut in limited release.
Final box office actuals are released on Monday.
News From Our Partners
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- Xbox One Will Require Daily Internet Connection 'Hannibal' "Trou Normand" Preview: Is Will Losing His Mind? Quantum Break Trailer: Remedy Returns With Xbox One Exclusive
- GIFS: 10 TV Housekeepers That Ran The Show Megan Smolenyak: Celebrity Roots Series "Who Do You Think You Are?" Returns This Is Going To Be AMAZING
- Hear This: An early Walkmen song gets anti-nostalgic Watch This: Thunder Road is one of the first, and finest, automotive action movies off the Hollywood lot Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Six: Michael Douglas plays Liberace in Steven Soderbergh’s swan song, Behind The Candelabra
- T-ara Member Hyomin Shows Off Her Sexy Side in Korean InStyle [Pics] Listen to David Guetta's Remix of Empire of the Sun's 'Alive Demi Lovato to Have Her Tonsils Removed
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season The Big C Series Finale Review: And They Lived Happily Ever After
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013