Box Office: 'The Dark Knight Rises' surpasses 'The Avengers' midnight take
'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Pt.2' still has the all-time record
The nation and Hollywood is in shock today after the shooting Friday morning at a suburban Colorado theater screening of "The Dark Knight Rises," but the movie business continues as does the news surrounding it.
Pre-release polling indicated unprecedented interest in "Rises" and those who attended midnight showings last night helped fuel an impressive debut. "Rises" grossed $30.6 million from midnight shows at 3,825 theaters including over 300 IMAX screens. That doesn't break the $43.5 million midnight record of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Pt. 2" set last summer, but it's slightly higher than "The Twilight Saga: New Moon" and "Eclipse" which pulled in $30.2 million and $30 million respectively.
Whether this early cume accurately reflects the box office prospects for "Rises" is unclear. In May, "The Avengers" grossed a strong $18.7 million from midnight shows, but still managed to set a 3-day opening weekend record of $207.4 million. "The Avengers" had the benefit of both higher IMAX and 3D screen ticket prices. "Rises" could come close to "The Avengers" take, but has always been unlikely based on the film's longer running time and the difference in average ticket prices.
Look for continuing box office updates all weekend long on HitFix.
News From Our Partners
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)
- Hear This: Connections gives a Guided By Voices-indebted reason to go for the opener Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing
- Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born Demi Lovato Gets New 'Warrior'-Inspired Tattoo [Pic]
- 'Angry Birds' Film Dive-Bombing Into Theaters In 2016 'Fast & Furious 6' Blasts Forward With Exclusive Clip: Watch Now! 'Riddick' Trailer: Watch Vin Diesel Fight For Survival
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- Why They Went 'Crazy' 30 EPIC Wedding Disasters 'No One Lives Forever'
- Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural CBS's 2013-2014 Schedule: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- Reese Witherspoon Joins Paul Thomas Anderson's 'Inherent Vice' CBS Fall 2013 Trailers: Sarah Michelle Gellar's 'Crazy Ones,' Anna Faris' Mom' and More! Sony Trademarks Possible PlayStation 4 Slogan "Greatness Awaits"