Box Office: 'The Dark Knight Rises' surpasses 'The Avengers' midnight take
'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Pt.2' still has the all-time record
The nation and Hollywood is in shock today after the shooting Friday morning at a suburban Colorado theater screening of "The Dark Knight Rises," but the movie business continues as does the news surrounding it.
Pre-release polling indicated unprecedented interest in "Rises" and those who attended midnight showings last night helped fuel an impressive debut. "Rises" grossed $30.6 million from midnight shows at 3,825 theaters including over 300 IMAX screens. That doesn't break the $43.5 million midnight record of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Pt. 2" set last summer, but it's slightly higher than "The Twilight Saga: New Moon" and "Eclipse" which pulled in $30.2 million and $30 million respectively.
Whether this early cume accurately reflects the box office prospects for "Rises" is unclear. In May, "The Avengers" grossed a strong $18.7 million from midnight shows, but still managed to set a 3-day opening weekend record of $207.4 million. "The Avengers" had the benefit of both higher IMAX and 3D screen ticket prices. "Rises" could come close to "The Avengers" take, but has always been unlikely based on the film's longer running time and the difference in average ticket prices.
Look for continuing box office updates all weekend long on HitFix.
News From Our Partners
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
- Can You Guess Which Celebrity Lives in This Mansion? Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Cover Billboard, Recall the Glory Days of Drugs, Myspace + More Lady Gaga Wears Sky High Heels to Versace Party [Pic]