Box Office: 'The Dark Knight Rises' doesn't forget to beat 'Total Recall' Friday
'Diary of a Wimpy Kid 3' has soft debut
"The Dark Knight Rises" looks like it will remain on top for the third weekend in a row after grossing $10.4 million on Friday. Sony PIctures' "Total Recall" remake wasn't enough to stop the bat, coming in at second with $9.2 million.
The Len Wiseman-directed sci-fi remake, starring Colin Farrell, Kate Beckinsale and Jessica Biel, should earn around $25 - 26 million this weekend, which has to be seen as a disappointment for Sony, who spent around $125 million on the production.
In comparison, the 1990 original opened to a then-stunning $25.5 million -- and that was twenty years ago, and that film was rated R.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
Debuting soft in third place, the family-friendly threequel "Diary of A Wimpy Kid: Dog Days" was far behind with $5.8 million. It should make about $16 to $17 million by Monday.
"Ice Age: Continental Drift" scored another $2.4 million, bringing its domestic gross to $125.9 million, while its international gross has already topped a whopping $500 million.
Meanwhile, the Ben Stiller-Vince Vaughn sci-fi comedy "The Watch" rounded out the top five with $1.9 million. The film has grossed only $20.9 million since opening last weekend. It will likely be ranked as one of the biggest box office bombs for both stars.
Next week, "Dark Knight Rises" faces competition from "The Bourne Legacy," starring Jeremy Renner.
Look for complete weekend estimates tomorrow on HitFix.
News From Our Partners
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do.
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Kelly Rowland Close to Signing 'X Factor' Deal Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition