Box Office: 'The Dark Knight Rises' doesn't forget to beat 'Total Recall' Friday
'Diary of a Wimpy Kid 3' has soft debut
"The Dark Knight Rises" looks like it will remain on top for the third weekend in a row after grossing $10.4 million on Friday. Sony PIctures' "Total Recall" remake wasn't enough to stop the bat, coming in at second with $9.2 million.
The Len Wiseman-directed sci-fi remake, starring Colin Farrell, Kate Beckinsale and Jessica Biel, should earn around $25 - 26 million this weekend, which has to be seen as a disappointment for Sony, who spent around $125 million on the production.
In comparison, the 1990 original opened to a then-stunning $25.5 million -- and that was twenty years ago, and that film was rated R.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
Debuting soft in third place, the family-friendly threequel "Diary of A Wimpy Kid: Dog Days" was far behind with $5.8 million. It should make about $16 to $17 million by Monday.
"Ice Age: Continental Drift" scored another $2.4 million, bringing its domestic gross to $125.9 million, while its international gross has already topped a whopping $500 million.
Meanwhile, the Ben Stiller-Vince Vaughn sci-fi comedy "The Watch" rounded out the top five with $1.9 million. The film has grossed only $20.9 million since opening last weekend. It will likely be ranked as one of the biggest box office bombs for both stars.
Next week, "Dark Knight Rises" faces competition from "The Bourne Legacy," starring Jeremy Renner.
Look for complete weekend estimates tomorrow on HitFix.
News From Our Partners
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Six: Michael Douglas plays Liberace in Steven Soderbergh’s swan song, Behind The Candelabra Comics Panel: New releases include an alternative detective story and a new collection examining the collective urban subconscious Permanent Records: The Breeders’ Last Splash is a rallying cry for the weirdos and stereotype-flouters
- Daft Punk, 'Random Access Memories' – Album Review Adam Levine Inviting Shakira Over for Sweaty Bikram Yoga Sessions, Sparks Rumors Chris Brown, Demi Lovato + More React to Oklahoma Tornado Tragedy
- Meet The New 'X Factor' Judges 5 Women We're Excited to See On TV This Fall How 'Vikings' Leading Man Travis Fimmel Nearly Got Away...
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- Microsoft Announces Foza Motorsport 5 as an Xbox One Launch Title '24: Live Another Day': Will Mary Lynn Rajskub's Chloe Return? Xbox One's Xbox Live Services Will Get a Boost
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS The Big C Series Finale Review: And They Lived Happily Ever After Warehouse 13 "The Sky's the Limit" Review: Up Up and Away
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H