Box office: 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre' slays opponents over slow weekend
'Django Unchained' places second, with 'The Hobbit' in third
Audiences were craving a post-holiday scare as "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3D" massacred the competition on a relatively slow Friday night at the box office.
Likely to earn around $25 million for the weekend, the sequel to Tobe Hooper's 1974 horror classic carved up a meaty $10.2 million on Friday, putting it well ahead of the No. 2 film, Quentin Tarantino's bloody western "Django Unchained."
That film earned another $6.1 million and is well on its way to crossing the $100 million mark. Its domestic total now stands at $92.4 million.
Domestic totals for both films are looking good, with "The Hobbit" having earned $251 million, while "Les Mis" have so far netted $92.4 million.
The Bette Midler-Billy Crystal comedy "Parental Guidance" continues to play, coming in at No. 5 with $3.1 million, bringing its domestic total to $45.7 million.
Despite the presence of Matt Damon, Gus Van Sant's "Promised Land" didn't make much noise after expanding to 1,676 screens, earning just $1.3 million.
Meanwhile, Kathryn Bigelow's controversial "Zero Dark Thirty" continues to hunt down big bucks in limited play. It earned $825,000 from just 60 screens, brining its total up to $2.5 million.
It opens wide next Friday, alongside "Gangster Squad" starring Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone, Sean Penn and Josh Brolin.
Look for complete weekend estimates Sunday on HitFix.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
3 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels Watch an Extended Trailer for CBS's Under the Dome (VIDEO)
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- Listen to Selena Gomez's 'Come & Get It' Remixes Katy Perry vs. Rita Ora vs. Beyonce vs. Kesha vs. Demi Lovato – Who Wore It Best? Chris Brown Launches New 'Channel' Website, Gets More Personal Than Ever
- Ilana Rapp: Actor Richard Harmon From Bates Motel and Continuum Talks about SpongeBob Squarepants and Yoga 'The Last Classic TV Comedy'? 'Biggest Loser' Host: 'I've Never Seen Jillian Eat A Cupcake'
- 'Zombieland' TV Series: Amazon Passes on the Pilot 'How I Met Your Mother' Final Season Spoilers: Producers Explain Time-Turning Format Change 'The Hangover Part 3′ Red-Band NSFW Trailer: It's Time to End the Trilogy