Box office: 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre' slays opponents over slow weekend
'Django Unchained' places second, with 'The Hobbit' in third
Audiences were craving a post-holiday scare as "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3D" massacred the competition on a relatively slow Friday night at the box office.
Likely to earn around $25 million for the weekend, the sequel to Tobe Hooper's 1974 horror classic carved up a meaty $10.2 million on Friday, putting it well ahead of the No. 2 film, Quentin Tarantino's bloody western "Django Unchained."
That film earned another $6.1 million and is well on its way to crossing the $100 million mark. Its domestic total now stands at $92.4 million.
Domestic totals for both films are looking good, with "The Hobbit" having earned $251 million, while "Les Mis" have so far netted $92.4 million.
The Bette Midler-Billy Crystal comedy "Parental Guidance" continues to play, coming in at No. 5 with $3.1 million, bringing its domestic total to $45.7 million.
Despite the presence of Matt Damon, Gus Van Sant's "Promised Land" didn't make much noise after expanding to 1,676 screens, earning just $1.3 million.
Meanwhile, Kathryn Bigelow's controversial "Zero Dark Thirty" continues to hunt down big bucks in limited play. It earned $825,000 from just 60 screens, brining its total up to $2.5 million.
It opens wide next Friday, alongside "Gangster Squad" starring Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone, Sean Penn and Josh Brolin.
Look for complete weekend estimates Sunday on HitFix.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
3 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Hear This: Connections gives a Guided By Voices-indebted reason to go for the opener Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing
- Why They Went 'Crazy' 30 EPIC Wedding Disasters 'No One Lives Forever'
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)
- Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born Demi Lovato Gets New 'Warrior'-Inspired Tattoo [Pic]
- Reese Witherspoon Joins Paul Thomas Anderson's 'Inherent Vice' CBS Fall 2013 Trailers: Sarah Michelle Gellar's 'Crazy Ones,' Anna Faris' Mom' and More! Sony Trademarks Possible PlayStation 4 Slogan "Greatness Awaits"
- Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural CBS's 2013-2014 Schedule: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays