Box Office: 'Spring Breakers' shocks with massive $90,000 per screen weekend
Is this the first indie hit of 2013?
Can you open a movie in 2013 on publicity alone? So far, distribution upstart A24 is proving you can. Harmony Korine's "Spring Breakers" debuted in only three theaters in New York and Los Angeles this weekend for a monster $270,000 gross or a might impressive $90,000 per screen.
Historically, "Breakers" now has the highest per screen sine "Zero Dark Thirty's" $83,430 in December and ranks alongside "The King's Speech," "The Tree of Life," "Lincoln" and "There Will Be Blood." Many were skeptical that "Breakers" could be a real hit, but no film that has debuted to at least $75,000 per screen has ever grossed less than $13 million and only two ("The Master" and "The Tree of Life") made less than $24 million. Hollywood will get a better idea of how wide "Breakers" can play when it expands to over 1,000 theaters on Friday.
The highest per screen for an art-house film is "The Master's" $147,262 per in five theaters last September.
Starring Vanessa Hudgens, Selena Gomez, Ashley Benson, Rachel Korine and James Franco, "Breakers" received positive reviews as it earned a 64 rating on Metacritic and a 70% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes. It also earned raves from The New York Times, the Village Voice, Rolling Stone, Entertainment Weekly, Time Out New York, the Associated Press and London's The Guardian.
Again, "Spring Breakers" opens nationwide on Friday.
News From Our Partners
- Reese Witherspoon Joins Paul Thomas Anderson's 'Inherent Vice' CBS Fall 2013 Trailers: Sarah Michelle Gellar's 'Crazy Ones,' Anna Faris' Mom' and More! Sony Trademarks Possible PlayStation 4 Slogan "Greatness Awaits"
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)
- Hear This: Connections gives a Guided By Voices-indebted reason to go for the opener Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing
- Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural CBS's 2013-2014 Schedule: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- 'Angry Birds' Film Dive-Bombing Into Theaters In 2016 'Fast & Furious 6' Blasts Forward With Exclusive Clip: Watch Now! 'Riddick' Trailer: Watch Vin Diesel Fight For Survival
- Why They Went 'Crazy' 30 EPIC Wedding Disasters 'No One Lives Forever'