Box office: 'Snitch' barely edges 'Identity Thief' on slow Friday
Keri Russell thriller 'Dark Skies' makes a sold debut
Don't tell anyone, but newcomer "Snitch" stole the top spot at Friday nights's office from Melissa McCarthy and Jason Bateman.
The Dwayne Johnson crime drama pulled in a OK $4.1 million, beating comedy holdover "Identity Thief" by less than half a million dollars. The two films will be neck-and-neck for what looks like another slow weekend, with "Thief" likely ending in victory by winning over more family audiences.
The romance movie "Safe Haven" came in third place, earning another $3.5 million. It brings the Nicholas Sparks' film's domestic come to $40.9 million.
The weekend's only other wide opener, the thriller "Dark Skies" is off to a solid start, earning $3 million. The low-budget film stars Keri Russell and Josh Hamilton, and cost just $3.5 million to produce.
Bruce Willis' latest action vehicle, "A Good Day to Die Hard," picked up $2.8 million on Friday. With a current domestic total of $44.6 million, it looks unlikely to top the previous "Live Free or Die Hard," which cruised to a $134 million total.
Look for complete weekend estimates Sunday on HitFix.
News From Our Partners
- Demi Moore & Ashton Kutcher in $10M Tug of War 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier': Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Anthony Mackie Spotted in D.C. (VIDEO) Katie Holmes Attracts the Wrong Kind of Attention on 'Mania Days' Set
- 'Star Trek' Baddie Benedict Cumberbatch Reveals Role's Biggest Challenge Cannes Film Festival 2013: Our Must-See Movies 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Sounds
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival CBS's 2013-2014 Season: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- Best Alicia Keys Instagram Photos – Picture Perfect Taylor Swift Fan Arrested for Swimming Near Her Rhode Island Beach House Taylor Swift vs. Pink vs. Rihanna vs. Beyonce: Whose Tour Costume Do You Like Best? – Readers Poll
- Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing TV Roundtable: When My Boys tested its prickly chemistry by inviting some new faces to the poker table The Walkthrough: The New Girl showrunners on topping season two’s big kiss (Part 5 of 5)
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is What Goes Bump in the Night 'The Simpsons' Taps Kristen Wiig For Guest Arc As FBI Agent CBS Fall 2013 Schedule: 'Mike & Molly' to 2014, More Comedy Thursday, and 'Hawaii' to Friday
- Hulu.com: 7 Things That Wouldn't Exist Without The Office Larry Womack: In Defense of (the Original) James T. Kirk 'Storage Wars': Ivy Finds Giant Clam Shell
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts