Box Office: 'Skyfall' on track for $100 million opening?
007 pulls in $4.6 million from Midnights and Thursday IMAX
The critically acclaimed 23rd 007 film opened in 436 IMAX theaters yesterday grossing $2.2 million. It then debuted at midnight nationwide taking in $2.4 million. That means "Skyfall" already had $4.6 million before regular engagements started today. Pre-release polling has been off the charts for the Eon Productions, MGM and Sony Pictures thriller for weeks and based on the intensity of today's matinees, some rival studios are projecting a $105-110 million weekend. Others are guessing something closer to $80-90 million, but either way it will absolutely be the biggest opening for a James Bond movie in the United States ever.
In the rest of the world "Skyfall" is already a smash finding $323 million and $85 million in the U.K. alone (the later figure more than "The Avengers" total British cume). The last two Bond films, "Casino Royale" and "Quantum of Solace," made $167.4 and $168.3 million in the U.S. respectively.
There are no other wide openings this weekend. "Lincoln" opens in 11 theaters. "A Royal Affair" debuts in just Los Angeles and New York.
Look for complete box office estimates all weekend long on HitFix.
News From Our Partners
- Laura Prudom: The Ultimate Sacrifice You Won't Believe What He Stole From George W. Bush It's Getting Ugly
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Arrow Season 1 Finale Review: The Tragedies of Men Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)
- Interview: Noah Baumbach on how Frances Ha helped him see New York City with new eyes Random Roles: James Urbaniak on Venture Bros.’ return and Hal Hartley’s Lord Of The Rings Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- 'American Idol' Recap: Top 2 Perform Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born
- 'Supernatural' Season Finale Review: "Sacrifice" 'Arrow' Season Finale Review: "Sacrifice" 'Modern Family' Review: "Games People Play"
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts