Box Office: 'Skyfall' on track for $100 million opening?
007 pulls in $4.6 million from Midnights and Thursday IMAX
The critically acclaimed 23rd 007 film opened in 436 IMAX theaters yesterday grossing $2.2 million. It then debuted at midnight nationwide taking in $2.4 million. That means "Skyfall" already had $4.6 million before regular engagements started today. Pre-release polling has been off the charts for the Eon Productions, MGM and Sony Pictures thriller for weeks and based on the intensity of today's matinees, some rival studios are projecting a $105-110 million weekend. Others are guessing something closer to $80-90 million, but either way it will absolutely be the biggest opening for a James Bond movie in the United States ever.
In the rest of the world "Skyfall" is already a smash finding $323 million and $85 million in the U.K. alone (the later figure more than "The Avengers" total British cume). The last two Bond films, "Casino Royale" and "Quantum of Solace," made $167.4 and $168.3 million in the U.S. respectively.
There are no other wide openings this weekend. "Lincoln" opens in 11 theaters. "A Royal Affair" debuts in just Los Angeles and New York.
Look for complete box office estimates all weekend long on HitFix.
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings! Hey TV.com, Should I Watch The Goodwin Games?
- 'Star Wars Rebels': New Animated Series Will Take Place Between 'Episode III and 'Episode IV' James Badge Dale, 'Iron Man 3' Star, Is Also in 'World War Z' and 'The Lone Ranger' 'Blue Jasmine' Poster Debut: Cate Blanchett Is Strikingly Stoic (PHOTO)
- Why Do I Own This?: A pint glass nicked from Forks, Washington, a.k.a. “Twilight, U.S.A.” Scenic Routes: A quiet scene from The Matrix demonstrates how to make exposition compelling Nerd Curious: Why the essential collection Bradbury Stories explains how to live forever
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard
- One Direction Thank Their Fans for 2013 Billboard Music Award Wins Drake + Jay-Z Working on New Music [Pic] Taylor Swift Gets Grossed Out When Selena Gomez + Justin Bieber Kiss Backstage at 2013 Billboard Awards [Pics]
- Sony Teases PlayStation 4 E3 Console Reveal in New Video George Takei as Every Character in 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Nintendo Promises Details on New 3D Mario, Smash Bros Before E3
- The Women TV Is Still Missing Jason Isaacs Reveals The One Co-Star He Won't Work With Again WATCH: La Toya's Tearful Break-Up Phone Call
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh