Box office: 'Skyfall' and 'Twilight' hold strong as 'Playing For Keeps' bombs
Steven Spielberg's 'Lincoln' closing in on $100 million
The new Gerard Butler-Jessica Biel romantic comedy may be "Playing For Keeps," but it didn't stand a chance against powerhouse holdovers "Skyfall" and "The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part II" at the box office on Friday.
In its fifth week, the James Bond film came in at No. 1 with $3.1 million, raising its domestic total to an impressive $253 million. Earlier this week, it became the highest-grossing film in U.K. history.
Likewise, "Breaking Dawn" -- now in its fourth week -- scared up another $2.8 million. The final film in the lucrative franchise, its U.S. box office come stands at $263 million. It will likely earn around $9 million for the weekend.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
In fourth place was DreamWorks Animation's "Rise of the Guardians," which continues to struggle. It picked up $2.3 million, brining its domestic gross up to a less-than-stellar $53.6 million. Its fortunes could improve, however, as kids are let our of school soon.
Ang Lee's epic "Life of Pi" netted $2.2 million. The adaptation of Yann Martel's divisive novel has so far earned $54.8 million in the U.S.
FilmDistrict's "Playing For Keeps," the only new wide release of the weekend, was lost in the shuffle of acclaimed holdovers. Despite an attractive cast including Butler, Biel, Uma Thurman and Catherine Zeta-Jones, it picked up only $2.1 million on Friday. It will likely earn just $6 million for the weekend.
Things will pick up at the box office again next weekend when the expected juggernaut "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" opens, leading into a slew of big holiday releases.
Look for complete weekend estimates Sunday on HitFix.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
3 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- 'Supernatural' Season Finale Review: "Sacrifice" 'Arrow' Season Finale Review: "Sacrifice" 'Modern Family' Review: "Games People Play"
- Interview: Noah Baumbach on how Frances Ha helped him see New York City with new eyes Random Roles: James Urbaniak on Venture Bros.’ return and Hal Hartley’s Lord Of The Rings Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)
- 'Angry Birds' Film Dive-Bombing Into Theaters In 2016 'Fast & Furious 6' Blasts Forward With Exclusive Clip: Watch Now! 'Riddick' Trailer: Watch Vin Diesel Fight For Survival
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Arrow Season 1 Finale Review: The Tragedies of Men Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival
- 'American Idol' Recap: Top 2 Perform Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts