Box Office: 'Sinister' takes Friday as 'Taken 2' aims for weekend no. 1
'Argo' has a strong $5.9 million while 'Here Comes the Boom' disappoints
It looks like it will be a busy weekend at the box office.
Summit Entertainment's "Sinister" was the surprise box office winner Friday night as the well reviewed horror flick found $7.4 million on Friday for what could be a $17-18 million three-day. That's in line with what the studio was hoping for. However, it's finding stiff competition from newcomer "Argo" and holdover "Taken 2."
Ben Affleck's "Argo" grossed $5.9 million on Friday and could end up with a $16-18 million three-day gross. Fueled by strong reviews and raves from major print publications such as the LA Times, the NY Times and the Wall Street Journal, "Argo" is appealing to the older audience that usually waits till the second or third weekend for a well received thriller. Warner Bros. was publicly looking for a high teens or $20 million take for "Argo," but a $24-25 gross would have been more in line with studio expectations.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
Still going strong as the first choice for families is Sony Pictures Animation's "Hotel Transylvania." After surprisingly discarding Disney's "Frankenweenie" last weekend, "Transylvania" pulled in $4.2 million on for $89 million to date.
Proving that Kevin James' star power may have been limited to just one film, Sony Pictures' "Here Comes the Boom" grossed just $3.6 million on Friday. The family themed comedy likely was hurt by the continuing strength of studio stablemate "Hotel Transylvania" and mostly negative reviews.
CBS Films released the R-rated comedy "Seven Psychopaths" on 1,480 screens for a $1.3 million gross. "Psychopaths" should find between $4-6 million for the weekend.
Look for complete weekend estimates Sunday on HitFix.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
4 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas' 'Rapturepalooza' Trailer: Anna Kendrick Gets Seduced by Satan 'Doctor Who' Season 8: Matt Smith Confirmed to Stay Another Year?